Is it possible to use other ONT devices with JioFiber?

• Thread starter Thread starter icarious
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 7,251
ISP
Airtel ADSL2+ (2007-2015)
Airtel V-Fiber (2015-2016)
D-VoiS ION
Hathway FTTH

JioFiber (2020 - .. )
Given the proprietary and heavily modified locked down nature of the router that comes with JioFiber, can anyone confirm if JioFiber is working with other devices purchased from outside? No, I am not asking if they will waive off the security deposit if we provide our own device. I am sure that's not possible. But the compatibility of the JioFiber network. Recently I applied for JioFiber and I am very skeptical about the router provided by Jio. So was wondering if I can swap it with another GPON / GEPON device post installation.

@icarious I can't specifically answer your question but you shouldn't do the after-market installment since Jio won't take any sort of guarantee for it and later on you might waste your money.

It is better to take the device which Jio is offering and use it.

The max you can do is buy Asus router or anything and use that as Access Point.

Jio Router ----> ASUS Router ----> Devices.

Fiber / FTTH is far away from being established in India. Until companies like TP-Link / D-Link jumps into this (Introduce their own compatible GEPON FTTH Router), I wouldn't do any investment.

Yes I know about the " Jio ONT Router establishing connectivity ----> Router in DHCP ----> Devices." route. Was just wondering if their system ALLOWS other after market routers to be attached directly as Airtel V-Fiber / Hathway does. Will just go by their router for now obviously. I applied for the connection last Friday and paid the deposit, still no word for installation.

Even if technically possible, it may not be worth it as most are v expensive. Also since FTTH is a new animal to most of us it can be confusing as to which make/model to buy. If we land up with a lemon it will be an expensive mistake.