Is BSNL FTTH worth it?

• Thread starter Thread starter anand777
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 3,315
ISP
BSNL
I have been using a local broadband( Asianet) for the last 8 years . I am now using a plan where I have to pay Rs 1100 for 50 Mbps speed. The main issue with this connection is that they provide abysmal speeds ( less than 5 Mbps) at peak usage hours( 7 to 12 PM). I now have BSNL FTTH in my area. I am planning a switch to 1277 plan. I need feedback from users if it's worth it ? Does BSNL also suffer from the same issue? How much speeds can we expect at peak usage hours ? I will primarily be using it to stream Netflix at 4k.

@anand777 full speed 24x7 and no downtime for me. Connection is provided thru LCO for me

Upvote 0
Having lot of problems since installation. Using since November 2018:

1. Speed issues, has been 10-15 mbps on a 50mbps plan. This has happened 30% of the time since I have had the connection.
2. One time the network went down, it was coming back up and again going down for almost 7 days after that it became stable.
3. It works good until it goes down, once it's down and you file a complaint these people will take 3-4 days to resolve it.
4. Ping issues to Singapore being 250-300 ms, the local technicians don't understand what I am saying they just ask me to contact NIB department. I had mailed them the issue on Nov 30th 2018, since then either they don't respond, or the concerned employee is not available on the table. When I get hold of them they just say "we are working on it" and are not even ready to understand the issue.

BSNL has a good infrastructure but third class service. Don't ever go for it if you have a choice. If you don't then its totally on your luck how are the employees at your place.

Upvote 0
BSNL is better than Asianet Broadband and the service will be more great if the LOC has better equipment and service team. In the case of Asianet, they have better support team but broadband is worst and expensive.

For overall satisfaction, then go for airtel fiber (if it is available).

Upvote 0
I have been using a local broadband( Asianet) for the last 8 years . I am now using a plan where I have to pay Rs 1100 for 50 Mbps speed. The main issue with this connection is that they provide abysmal speeds ( less than 5 Mbps) at peak usage hours( 7 to 12 PM). I now have BSNL FTTH in my area. I am planning a switch to 1277 plan. I need feedback from users if it's worth it ? Does BSNL also suffer from the same issue? How much speeds can we expect at peak usage hours ? I will primarily be using it to stream Netflix at 4k.

It all depends on the LCO. If LCO is good then there are rarely any issues, if he is bad then you are either stuck with FTTH or you will waste a lot of time getting it disconnected.

I am not able to make a decision just because of the uncertainty, I am currently on BSNL ADSL . Sure the speeds (10 Mbps) are much slower that FTTH but at least its reliable.

Upvote 0
I'm giving a very blunt opinion. It totally depends on the area. In my place, speeds remain around 40 mbps (on the 1277 plan) most of the time. Rarely does it go above that. Latency is not that impressive for an FTTH connection. But reliability is much better than BSNL ADSL. If you have any other operator, please consider them first.

Upvote 0
BSNL is better than Asianet Broadband and the service will be more great if the LOC has better equipment and service team. In the case of Asianet, they have better support team but broadband is worst and expensive.

For overall satisfaction, then go for airtel fiber (if it is available).

There is no LCO for me. BSNL exchange is 210 metres from my home. I have to deal with arrogant sarkari babus. Airtel is only giving fiber to posh areas. In Trivandrum, they are only available at Kowdiar.

Upvote 0