Free Tool To Know Dataone Bandwidth Usage

shaplus

[OP]
Aug 21, 2005
Since BSNL is not providing total Bandwidth usage in its website, currently it is very difficult to calculate Total Bandwidth usage from the log pages. I have tried using Bandwidth monitoring softwares but BSNL records are always higher than software records. (this is not afault of BSNL, some one told that metering software can show upto 10% difference)

I have created a small tool, that will logon to BSNL site and calculate total bandwidth. It also shows all your log pages in a single page.

Download it free from my site How to find Monthly Dataone bandwidth usage
Last Updated 04 apr 2008

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
Regulars
Jan 21, 2005
Pune
DO you have source code? What if you're using it to steal passwords so you can use other people's downloads...

mantraway

Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by vishalrao@Aug 22 2005, 04:02 AM
DO you have source code? What if you're using it to steal passwords so you can use other people's downloads...
[snapback]22615[/snapback]
[/quote]

We notified regarding this software to National Internet Backbone & BSNL Delhi Office. Please do not use this software as of now...

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
www.IslamicWebSolutions.com

i do not even like the sound of that...

shaplus

[OP]
Aug 21, 2005
This was a tool I created for myself and I found that it saves lot of time for me. so I decided to share it with others.

DO you have source code? What if you're using it to steal passwords so you can use other people's downloads
[/b]
BTW, if you are skeptical about this software, you can use a firewall and allow this software to connect only to BSNL website.

We notified regarding this software to National Internet Backbone & BSNL Delhi Office. Please do not use this software as of now...
[/b]
Thanks for notifying. Maybe this will prompt them to provide a simple way for knowing the Bandwidth.

prdp

Jun 13, 2005
Shaplus ... If you want everyone to be benefited by the software, make it open source. That will remove all sorts of fears.

saurabhj

Jul 3, 2005
I dunno ...I know how sometimes good intentions get misunderstood ... but I guess its better to be on the safe side ...If you make it open source, that would be perfect for people ... but dealing with something like passwords and money matters, is always going to be a risky affair ...Besides, if people have any doubt, they shouldn't use the software ...

arvind

Aug 22, 2005
If you make it open source, that would be perfect for people ... but dealing with something like passwords and money matters, is always going to be a risky affair ...
[/b]

Well, for the Perl lovers among you, here's a small Perl script which finds out your usage for a particular month. This is especially useful if you use Linux, as only IE is allowed to connect to it.

You need a proper Perl environment and a few modules (LWP::UserAgent and HTTP::Cookies). You can also do this to get a manpage: perldoc dataone_usage

This script is GPLed. I'd like to know your experiences with this. I've tested it on a Gentoo Linux system.

The part which calculates the amount of free usage is not fully finished. Just be careful using it.

Arvind

PS: Due to a stupid "extension not allowed" error on this forum, I had to rename the script dataone_usage.txt.