UBNT EdgeRouter-X + Ethernet Surge Protection Thread (UBNT - Ubiquiti)

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 63558
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,707
D

Deleted member 63558

Hello! I need some help regarding the EdgeRouter-X and Ethernet Surge Protector.

1. UBNT EdgeRouter-X from US. As many of you have it from US directly. Does your's have Indian Socket Pin (Round) or US Socket Pins (Flat)?

2. How would you take support / warranty for the US Import UBNT Products?

3. UBNT Surge Protector, Do you need to setup the ground wiring for it or is it plug and play (Just insert ethernet and it's done)?

4. Can I setup the EdgeRouter-X in such a way that it should shift to WAN 2 from WAN 1 only after certain number (N number) of Fails of Pings?

Thanks

CC: @Sushubh @achaudhary997

1. Mine had US Socket Pins (Flat). Won't be a problem as currently, most extension cords have universal sockets.

2. Haven't had any major problems with it yet (it been 8-9 months). Will send it back to the USA with someone for warranty.

3. I don't use any surge protector (But I should considering the equipment will be gone in case some surge happens 😛).

4. Yes!, that's the best part of using it. But it may involve doing it through the command line instead of the GUI.

Thank you for the reply @achaudhary997 Okay, I'm going ahead and ordering US one because it's out of stock India-wide.

You should definitely get a surge protector if your ISP provides internet via. Ethernet (Btw, Who's your ISP)?

1. Could you help me with the CLI setup or share some resources to achieve such custom Failover/FallBack/LoadBalancing?

@Sushubh Can you tell me, How did you install the Ethernet Surge Protector?

1. Where did you install the Surge Protector? (Outside the house or just few feet away from router inside house)?

2. Did you install the ground wire on it? (If yes, How)?

Thanks.

Ethernet Surge Protection? | I want to buy a...

WK7QuIq.jpg

Thanks for sharing @Sushubh. But, I'm still confused.

1. You have placed this surge protector inside the house itself near the router?

2. That Green Wire is Ground Wire. So, Have you connected that Green Wire to your house's Ground Wire (going through each and every switch board of house) or have you taken this ground wire as individual and left it directly outside (this single wire straight)?

Thanks.

it's just before my router inside my house.
the green wide is connected to ground wire on my extension board cable. my electrician did it and said it should be fine. i personally have no idea if it is how it is supposed to be.

btw that image shows the excitel cable coming from their box. you wanted to know what kind of wiring i have right?

it's just before my router inside my house.
the green wide is connected to ground wire on my extension board cable. my electrician did it and said it should be fine. i personally have no idea if it is how it is supposed to be.
Where does that Green Wire from the extension Board goes to?

I mean could you send me the whole setup of your extension board? I'll be able to understand.

Since, it's important to know where is Green Wire ending else my Ethernet Surge Protector won't work at all.

Do let me know soon @Sushubh as I will be calling electrician tomorrow 🙁

Really appreciate if you can help.

I can clarify some things on the "grounding" using the green ground cable. So technically there are three wires for every socket the green one being assigned to ground. As the name suggests on one end the green cable should be connected to a physical ground, like a huge metal sheet/physically dug pit in the ground so that in case if a surge happens all the excess current will travel through the green wire to the ground, rather than going through the equipment.

P.S. Most electricians normally leave the ground unconnected or they just connect one end of it (to the socket) and leave the other end hanging (not connected to ground), so check this if you can cause I suffered from this 😛.

Thank you for the reply @achaudhary997 Okay, I'm going ahead and ordering US one because it's out of stock India-wide.

You should definitely get a surge protector if your ISP provides internet via. Ethernet (Btw, Who's your ISP)?

1. Could you help me with the CLI setup or share some resources to achieve such custom Failover/FallBack/LoadBalancing?

My ISP is excitel.
1. Yup would be happy to help. The best way is to first get familiar with the command line utility (shouldn't be tough if have used Linux environments before). The best source to learn would be the ubiquity forums.

Hi @achaudhary997 Thanks for the reply. Well, Yeah you are right about the grounding. The thing I'm asking though is that is it okay if I connect this UBNT Ethernet Protector's Ground Cable with the home's ground cable or do I need to make a totally specific ground cable and make it individual (not shared with home's). This is what I want to know (also from @Sushubh ).

Well, I've a very simple test to check the grounding. My keyboard is Metal (Mechanical Keyboard with Metal Body).

So if I get the electric current feeling while my hands/feet are wet, it means grounding is not done 😛

P.S.: That much current is too much less to give you any sort of shock or damage as it's powered from USB of PC.

Coming to point, I'll be having EdgeRouter-X soon. What kind of settings (custom CLI/Config) have you done with your ER-X so far?

Thanks.

You won't need a separate ground for the surge protector AFAIK, the normal home ground should suffice.
The switching to another network after a particular number of failures can be achieved can be done by setting the count parameter in the edge router.

Source: EdgeRouter - WAN Load-Balancing (Read point 3 of Load Balancing Configuration Options)

As of now, I am not doing much just some QoS for VOIP applications like Skype, Whatsapp, and stuff. I do use OpenVPN on the edge router to connect everything in my home through PIA VPN (when required).