blocked ports

• Thread starter Thread starter path
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 5,362

path

ISP
airtel
hi I recently got a brand new airtel connection in bangalore, Malleshwaram. However when I was testing it, I found I could not connect to irc servers. The problem is port 6667 is blocked, but not 6668. I asked the guy and he asked me to contact customer care. I contacted them and they said that they have a bunch of blocked ports for "security reasons", but they cannot reveal which ports are blocked. The local engineer also said something about how all these ports are blocked by most major ISPs (except BSNL), since they all get their connection from some big Asian backbone and this is some sort of policy. I wonder if anyone knows anything more about this, or can add to this?IRC is a very old and fairly well used protocol. So its very strange that that port is blocked. Coincidentally, Bittorrent uses port 6667 in the range of default ports.

airtel is known to block irc in some cities. i have myself found no problems with any application here in gurgaon.

neh. airtel does not normally require that 😉

Yesterday when I tried Emule and azeurus for the first time with my airtel connection even i found difficulty connecting to servers ,as most cud not establish contact to me except a few , the speed was slow,and serach results limited. This cud not be firewall problem cos the firewall is the same ,with the same set of rules which i used previously with my hotwire connection.

What i've done even though i have an MTNL connection is change the default listening ports of azureus and etc to somethin in b/w 10000 and 20000 and then forwarded the ports in my router.To test the settings in Azureus, go to Tools> NAT & Firewall test, if it says OK! then ur ports are forwarded. Also the status light of ur torrents shud be green mostly. If they are yellow all the time, then ur ports are firewalled and speeds will be slow.I think port forwarding has been discussed extensively already so it shudn't be a prob finding the settings for ur router, wtever brand it is.