Hathway Internet! Works great for me!

• Thread starter Thread starter pawanrh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 21,658
Originally posted by Suraj@Aug 20 2005, 11:16 AM
good for ya....since they provide it thru a switch in my area. They have huge downtimes here.
[snapback]22324[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thats a Sad thing! Its only supposed to be provided that way in Business Environments! That would be highly insecure for a home PC!

Originally posted by pawanrh+Aug 19 2005, 08:24 PM-->QUOTE(pawanrh @ Aug 19 2005, 08:24 PM)
blr_p: this is for u!
3. Your Problems on clicking on a virus/trojan file are neither mine nor your ISPs.. Its yours. If your so uneducated about them, nobody can help.. this is Common to all ISPs.. Remember this is a comparison. None of them blocks ur 'clicks' on such files.
[/b]
I know this, i posted that assuming you thought your 6 firewalls would protect you from such. If you are aware..then good.

Originally posted by pawanrh@Aug 19 2005, 08:24 PM
4. Cables could be hanging since its Cable Internet, not DSL, but so are other operators' wires! If u are so concerned, in India you'll need to stick to Dial up!
Airtel (Bharti) does everything underground where they can. Tata does as well (at least on my street). Since my last isp was always having their main link severed for whatever reason, i was quite averse to this. And it's fibre that got cut, not as easy/quick to splice as other cables.

Also overhead cables can be a source of surges either through lightning or bad earthing from the source(s) you get the conection from. This is mostly in the case of Cat-5 cables. Even tho urs is Co-ax, I'm still curious to know what precautions Hathway has taken to avert this.

It's good to know they are DOCSIS compliant as oposed to some strange proprietary way. That's the way cable isps work in the west. It's strange your upload is so slow, i don't see any reason for this to be the case.

Maybe this is yet another salesman, this time for Hathway, coming here to advertise in guise of a glowing review... Sushubh, I think this forum has now got the attention of the ISPs! Good, maybe some of the better ones will read our sad stories and improve services quick!Ya, his join date is Aug 18th hehe, I bet he's a salesman

This was my first thought as well, let's see how they run the gauntlet 😉Would certainly like to hear from other Hathway users if this 256k plan.

you know some of us are/were on sify 256kbps, when the connection did really work i used to download around 1.1 to 1.3gb (10 hours) every night.We have unlimited only between 10pm-8am and you have unlimited 24hours, home come you don't download more.i can understand if you are not downloading all the time.doesn't hathway allow you to buy the modem from somewhere else and just remove that rent of 100 Rs?i suppose you can afford that connection thats why you got it. But i did say 1000+ is kinda expensive, u know we are looking at over 12000Rs a year for that connection.

Originally posted by blr_p@Aug 20 2005, 04:49 PM
This was my first thought as well, let's see how they run the gauntlet 😉

Would certainly like to hear from other Hathway users if this 256k plan.
[snapback]22369[/snapback]
[/quote]

Even i feel this had been an exaggeration for hathway.My friend has hathway. He paid something around Rs5600 for 6 months of 256kbps conenction and the last time i asked him how was the conenction running ..he said it was completely down for 3 days....some thing i have never witnessed in BSNL and my prev ISP. 3 days is just too much

WOuld love to hear from other hathway users

:lol: Ok Everybody! Firstly! Very Sorry for Extreme Positive posts about Hathway.. But I'm not a Salesman for 'em! Just a good satisfied customer! I no way insist you MUST go for Hathway coz i'm aware that Hathway does not perform well in many areas, but since mines a positive (maybe exceptional) case, i'm just happy to Put it down Here! 🙂

Originally posted by vishalrao@Aug 20 2005, 03:51 PM
Maybe this is yet another salesman, this time for Hathway, coming here to advertise in guise of a glowing review... Sushubh,  I think this forum has now got the attention of the ISPs! Good, maybe some of the better ones will read our sad stories and improve services quick!

Ya, his join date is Aug 18th hehe, I bet he's a salesman
[snapback]22361[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmm.. Hope that happens! Atleast it wont be happening coz of me! 🤔
And Don't worry Vishal, I'm gonna stick around here for a while, and telling you of the downtimes i may experience, in the coming days!

Originally posted by Suraj@Aug 20 2005, 07:11 PM
doesn't hathway allow you to buy the modem from somewhere else and just remove that rent of 100 Rs?[snapback]22392[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yup it does! But its very expensive! the Cable Modem costs a filthy 3000 bucks! I wasn't sure of the services n i didnt buy it! Also i'll definitely be changing the ISP in 30 months (Rent then equals the cost of modem) so i thought it wasn't worth buying it!

Also There are 6 month plans which would effectively cost 830 bucks (plus rent, etc)! They are relatively affordable

And As far the uploads being slow, i agree, theres no reason technically for it to be limited to that!

Originally posted by blr_p@Aug 20 2005, 03:18 PM
Also overhead cables can be a source of surges either through lightning or bad earthing from the source(s) you get the conection from. This is mostly in the case of Cat-5 cables.  Even tho urs is Co-ax, I'm still curious to know what precautions Hathway has taken to avert this.

The problem with cable as opposed to DSL is shared vs dedicated. Now if you don't have many subscribers in ur area you will get good speed. Else it will drop (especially if you got hogs). You have no control over this, hence why ppl prefer DSL. Of course DSL comes with a 2 mile distance limit. I have heard of DSL extenders that can extend that limit to at least 20, so only a matter of time before it becomes affordable.

[snapback]22360[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll try to ask them, the next time I call! The only problem is the call centre executives takin our complaints know Absolutely Nothing! Really, thats the worst part! They'll have some technical guy call me up! I'll ask him tho!
And this has also got me to thinking, if its gonna affect co-axs, all of us using the local cable networks are prone to having their TV burnt!

And yes, it is a shared line, and by looking around i found these quotes below from a topic in the Others section,I guess it boils down to the same thing!

Originally posted by Sushubh@Aug 14 2005, 03:43 PM
cable can ofcourse be dedicated connection if the ISP programs it to. and DSL can be a shared connection if the ISP wants it to. who says that the technology has these unbelievably stupid conditions?
[snapback]21323[/snapback]
[/quote]

Originally posted by muttster`@Aug 14 2005, 05:09 PM
Internet in itself is a shared resource....Buying dedicated bandwidth is going  to cost a bomb..Its just that there's the bottleneck of an overcrowded node with Cable but with DSL you got 'contention ratios'..
[snapback]21330[/snapback]
[/quote]

As far as my case is concerned, I'm more than happy until i get consistent 30KBps+ download speeds and no lags while playing CS! Not much problems as yet!

Originally posted by abdulrahman004@Aug 20 2005, 07:45 PM
Even i feel this had been an exaggeration for hathway.My friend has hathway. He paid something around Rs5600 for 6 months of 256kbps conenction and the last time i asked him how was the conenction running ..he said it was completely down for  3 days....some thing i have never witnessed in BSNL and my prev ISP. 3 days is just too much

WOuld love to hear from other hathway users
[snapback]22395[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've read a lotta bad reviews of hathway! Its mainly coz of it handled by the local CAblewallahs I guess! Yup, unfortunately your connection depends on him!

And hey blr_p,
I thought Airtel blocks the ports as well, as a "Security" measure! Have you checked it up on portdetective.com or some similar site?

hehe ok maybe you're not a salesman then... dude, you have it better than us bsnl users... i would be glad if a techie person called me back troubleshoot any problems... bsnl just has the phone people... actually they have no customer support... its all self-help!

Sorry for so many posts in a row, but u see i've a lotta questions to answer!
Originally posted by Suraj@Aug 20 2005, 07:11 PM
you know some of us are/were on sify 256kbps, when the connection did really work i used to download around 1.1 to 1.3gb (10 hours) every night.

We have unlimited only between 10pm-8am and you have unlimited 24hours, home come you don't download more.

i can understand if you are not downloading all the time.

doesn't hathway allow you to buy the modem from somewhere else and just remove that rent of 100 Rs?

i suppose you can afford that connection thats why you got it. But i did say 1000+ is kinda expensive, u know we are looking at over 12000Rs a year for that connection.
[snapback]22392[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yup, I wasn't downloading all the time! But typically i do get approx 2.2 to 2.4GB (I download linux 4 cds+ rescue in a day) a day (Since its not on lan, it rarely overshoots or slows down whether anyone is there or not)! And i think thats not bad. Ideally at 256 kbps without losses, by calculations i should get around 2.6 - 2.7 GB, which mostly never reaches!

Originally posted by vishalrao@Aug 21 2005, 12:01 AM
hehe ok maybe you're not a salesman then... dude, you have it better than us bsnl users... i would be glad if a techie person called me back troubleshoot any problems... bsnl just has the phone people... actually they have no customer support... its all self-help!
[snapback]22423[/snapback]
[/quote]

yup! thats One thing I like! they call you back in five mins! If reqd, they visit the house! They are very polite that ways! Just wish those ppl sitting at the other end of the phone had some brains! Else they might as well be replaced by an automated system to reduce our frustrations!

Originally posted by pawanrh+Aug 20 2005, 11:39 PM-->QUOTE(pawanrh @ Aug 20 2005, 11:39 PM)
And this has also got me to thinking, if its gonna affect co-axs, all of us using the local cable networks are prone to having their TV burnt!
[/b]
You would think, but have u watched tv during a thunderstorm. I had mine on once when a bolt struck nearby. Hub+Nic was dead. TV switched off, but then when i tried to switch it back on it worked. Not sure about this but since TVs usually deal with high voltages internally, i figure some internal protection blocked it or it was not high enough to cause any damage. Hub+Nic are rather fragile (motherboard incld) and don't deal with such voltages.