Digital Wallets

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 3,692
I am yet to see a single Android user using Google Pay (or Tez). So I would assume its share is still negligible.

Though Google Pay is not dominant yet, we should not forget the fact that Google has the majority market share in smartphone market. It is only a matter of time before they start bundling Google Pay with each and every Android device, throw in all the bells and whistles and wipe out smaller players. Its is also believed that Google is entering into e-commerce marketplace business (just like Amazon.in) with India being launch market. If that happens, the fortunes of Google Pay will change for good. Payments is a game of big guys who has the capacity to control entire eco-system.

PhonePe at least is using a qr code that support its own wallet as well. so there is incentive in using phonepe at outlets which are accepting payments through phonepe. you don't have to pay through your bank account (always a risky thing). you can pay using your wallet balance which is what i have been doing for months. after facing a hung transaction at mother dairy on paying through bank account.
google pay does not have this.

Isn't usage of Bharat QR mandatory these days?. I mean QR codes have to be interoperable across all apps?.

The code works with all upi apps. PhonePe just process it using wallet funds if they are available.

I believe Paytm also launched a unified qr code that support both wallet and upi.

wAffUHb.png

I guess I should try Google Pay on PhonePe qr code at mother Dairy. I haven't really tried. I just assumed it would. Perhaps they are not using Bharat QR at these partner outlets ?

OFFtopic - AFAIK merchant's can't generate Bharat QR on their own. They need to have a current a/c and need to contact their bank to generate QR

PhonePe of course generates the qr code for the establishment.

i am also seeing unbranded bharat qr codes at some shops in my local market. they are pure upi codes as they feature logos of multiple upi apps. i am guessing these are the ones being pushed by banks?

MwYOwh9.png

PhonePe of course generates the qr code for the establishment.

i am also seeing unbranded bharat qr codes at some shops in my local market. they are pure upi codes as they feature logos of multiple upi apps. i am guessing these are the ones being pushed by banks?

Apparently Bharat QR and Bharat PE is not same. Bharat QR can be scanned by other non upi apps like credit card app. Bharat PE is readable by only upi apps.

Merchant can generate the code using the BharatPe for Merchants app. Probably for Bharat QR code the bank will provide the code.

Source

Source

Last edited:
bc itna complicate bana rakha hai. they really should aim for a single unified qr for everything.

Why do we even need the QR code ? Just replace the qr scanner with ocr scanner and give the merchant a unique permanent alpha-numeric code which he can display and the customer can scan or just type in his device. This is exactly what already exists with the upi apps....if you cant scan you type in vpa or mobile number. All these merchant data can be provided when registering with the bank, even if it changes later the unique code remains permanent.

Qr code can store a lot of data in a square block which is much easier to scan compared to text in any way orientation. I am going to guess that there is a good reason why bar code was invented and is used globally!

Of course tech is much better today but qr codes are still going to have a better success rate than ocring text.

We need QR code because we retailers use dynamic QR codes in retail outlets. Latest POS payment terminal from banks like HDFC support this along with regular cards.

Right. Pos devices i belive generate qr code for payment through apps these days. I have seen jio money listed in credit card machines?