Digital Wallets

amish

Star gazer
Regulars
Jul 3, 2006
Mumbai
Google Pay will become dominant player, again due to the sheer volume of Android devices.
I am yet to see a single Android user using Google Pay (or Tez). So I would assume its share is still negligible.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
that is the thing. google pay uses upi. so there is little incentive for anyone already using paytm or phonepe to use google pay for upi payments. apart from the scratch coupons of course. unless they bring in the proper nfc based card payment support... they can only retain customers by offering them cashback on transactions.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
phonepe at least is using a qr code that support its own wallet as well. so there is incentive in using phonepe at outlets which are accepting payments through phonepe. you don't have to pay through your bank account (always a risky thing). you can pay using your wallet balance which is what i have been doing for months. after facing a hung transaction at mother dairy on paying through bank account.

google pay does not have this.

dextermorgan

Regulars
May 12, 2014
Hyderabad
that is the thing. google pay uses upi. so there is little incentive for anyone already using paytm or phonepe to use google pay for upi payments. apart from the scratch coupons of course. unless they bring in the proper nfc based card payment support... they can only retain customers by offering them cashback on transactions.
nut how many nfc equipped phones are there tho? If google ties up with xiaomi and make them include nfc chip, it would be an instant hit. samsung ofcourse would decline google nfc deal since they have their own samsung pay service

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
hopefully more than the number of phones with mst :D

since google cannot use mst... nfc is the only alternative option available. and of course, upi is always there just like the downgraded samsung pay experience on their budget and mid-range devices.

it's a shame that samsung does not bundle mst on all their devices. such a useful tech. wasted with a shithole of a company.

Sai

Regulars
Nov 6, 2008
Mangaluru, Karnataka
I am yet to see a single Android user using Google Pay (or Tez). So I would assume its share is still negligible.
Though Google Pay is not dominant yet, we should not forget the fact that Google has the majority market share in smartphone market. It is only a matter of time before they start bundling Google Pay with each and every Android device, throw in all the bells and whistles and wipe out smaller players. Its is also believed that Google is entering into e-commerce marketplace business (just like Amazon.in) with India being launch market. If that happens, the fortunes of Google Pay will change for good. Payments is a game of big guys who has the capacity to control entire eco-system.

phonepe at least is using a qr code that support its own wallet as well. so there is incentive in using phonepe at outlets which are accepting payments through phonepe. you don't have to pay through your bank account (always a risky thing). you can pay using your wallet balance which is what i have been doing for months. after facing a hung transaction at mother dairy on paying through bank account.
google pay does not have this.
Isn't usage of Bharat QR mandatory these days?. I mean QR codes have to be interoperable across all apps?.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
The code works with all upi apps. Phonepe just process it using wallet funds if they are available.

I believe Paytm also launched a unified qr code that support both wallet and upi.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
I guess I should try Google Pay on phonepe qr code at mother Dairy. I haven't really tried. I just assumed it would. Perhaps they are not using Bharat QR at these partner outlets ?

raj2007

Chennai
Regulars
Feb 27, 2009
Chennai
OFFtopic - AFAIK merchant's can't generate Bharat QR on their own. They need to have a current a/c and need to contact their bank to generate QR