Wireless Setup in UBUNTU

• Thread starter Thread starter Surfer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 5,564

Surfer

ISP
MTNL 590 NU
Hi all , I have configured wireless (after a lot of googling) on Ubuntu fiesty fawn . For the wireless setup to work i have to enable roaming mode in the network configuration panel . I also needed to enable DHCP on my router . assigning a static IP in the network configuration for wireless interface does not work because the WPA option is not visible .i use the gnome network manager (different from the network config panel) to connect to my wireless network .. all works fine .. i get a IP from the router and can surf and all .. BUT now the issue is that i cannot open the router page from my browser (192.168.1.1) .. i think its because the default gateway is not configured ....has anybody got wireless working in ubuntu (using WPA) ? . how do i configure default gateway so that i can access the router page ? .. Any help is appreciated ..

you didnt mention which router model you have...but check if there is an option in the router config page itself to enable wireless access to the config pages... my Linksys wrt54g model has that option disabled by default...

i am using D-Link 2640T .. Thing is that this works in winXP ... In XP i have configured the wireless as a static IP giving the IP address and the gateway 192.168.1.1 .. i suppose this routes the IP correctly ... i have enabled DHCP on my router and assured that the same IP (which i have configured as static ) is assigned to the wireless interface by the router . i cannot do the same thing in linux because the WPA option is disabled in the network config panel and therefore cannot add the gateway settings there ...

hmmm, i know this is not much help, but:i have Linksys wireless router and am using ubuntu 7.10 gutsy and am able to provide static ip for wireless and i can access the setup page just fine ...maybe you should try ubuntu gutsy if its not too much hassle to reinstall/upgrage...