Reliance Jio has acquired majority stake in Hathway Cable & Datacom and DEN Networks

• Thread starter Thread starter Navjot Singh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 9,758
YuP! if this goes thru Jio would have a killing entry.

I hope this takeover is meant to take over the clients only and not the existing infrastructure. Because the infrastructure Hathway uses is pretty bad shape and their staff doesn't understand many technicalities. They aren't able to fix the 1.1.1.1 issue till now (CloudFlare DNS).

Secondly, Hathway works on the Docsis which isn't Fiber or FTTH.

hathway has ftth in most cities
Which is junk and shit. I wouldn't bet on Hathway.

I clearly think a general problem with RIL is happening. It's a typical Indian Company who doesn't care about quality

Jio will be able to upgrade the existing network of these companies and will not be needed to go for 100 permission required to setup the fiber service.
Even if they do so, it's clear it wouldn't work as expected it should. You might want to check the problems people face with Hathway.
Secondly, Jio itself has a lot of issues themselves.

Probably, it's a strategic move but it's more of a "Jugaad" and less of a quality move.

If Airtel removes their V-Fiber Gimmick and Introduce the Real Fiber through out India? They will win the race.

Jio is currently new (not even launched) and taking such moves will only harm in terms of quality.

In-Short: The give potential of Jio Fiber with the low-quality ISP such as Hathway/Den? It doesn't match the quality.

Also, Hathway and Den has wires from the trees, if that is what Jio wants to plan? GG.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine they are just eliminating the competition from smaller players. These smaller players are likely to remain very competitive wrt pricing and would hurt their enrollment. It is just cheaper to buy them now than to bleed them out.

No, I don't think Airtel is bleeding out because of them and I don't see a reason why Jio would bleed out (given that they have billion dollar investment for the Jio overall).

That's not a reason for sure. Hathway/Den are no where near being competition.

Jio Mobile (4G Volte) itself a threat to Airtel Broadband, Hathway, Den, ACT, Excitel (if the person is not heavy usage), I find it hard to believe how they would be threat to Jio Broadband.

Plans of Jio are not out yet. It's all assumptions. So we can't really say that these small ISP are cheaper than Jio.

P.S.: There is a very common issue with Hathway, They bleed out of their bandwidth quota time-to-time which they buy from Airtel (so basically, the backend of Hathway is Airtel itself). People are left without internet until Hathway renews their bandwidth with Airtel.

If Jio really wants to have stake in Hathway, they should know that they are investing in a firm which is indirectly dependent upon the Airtel (which it would move to Jio leaving Airtel as the data-bandwidth provider) but then it will be the step of people leaving Hathway too because Jio has too much of routing issues. I can't imagine 50ms ping on a fiber internet connection where as people get 0ms-1ms on a ethernet (Excitel), 10ms max on Airtel V-Fiber and 10-20ms on Cable Docsis.

Last edited by a moderator:
reliance is not really known for their quality, jio 4g network is a proof of that where it works its great but where it doesn't work they don't put a lot of effort in improving it.

With Hathway, Den they will get a jump start in broadband and tv market.

Yeah, they have missing quality in their network. It's a typical Indian Company (Reliance) who wants numbers and not quality.

They are seriously not improving any services. It is like they came with a change and they settled with it only. There is no further revolution.

P.S.: With Changes their intentions seems to increase their numbers only not the quality of service in India.

If I believe, I would invest double the amount to setup my Fiber and do whatever it takes rather than investing in Hathway/Den (Which are already dying up lately).

I wanted to move to Excitel from Hathway but couldn't because of some issues with my Local Excitel LCO. I see many people leaving Hathway lately.

Hathway has a lot of issues which they don't fix for years no matter how much you complain to Nodal.

Infact, they haven't solved the 1.1.1.1 issue on Hathway yet.

Basically, all these latest news of Jio Fiber and their approach has given me second thoughts that "Ache Din are still far away".

Mukesh Ambani, Chairman & Managing Director, RIL said, “We are glad to join hands with Shri Rajan Raheja and Shri Sameer Manchanda, two of the pioneers in the MSO industry. Our investments in DEN and Hathway create a win-win-win outcome for the LCOs, customers, content producers and the eco-system.

hmmm

so why didn't they just partnered with LCOs directly

Last edited: