Reliance Jio has acquired majority stake in Hathway Cable & Datacom and DEN Networks

Navjot Singh

[OP]
Regulars
Sep 7, 2005
Delhi
RIL in talks to buy Hathway, bring broadband home to you

Reliance Industries has initiated talks to acquire India’s largest cable operator, Hathway Cable & Datacom, in a bid to speed up the commercial launch of its GigaFiber high-speed home broadband services. The valuation figure being discussed is around Rs 2,500 crore, ET learns from its sources.

ajgamer

Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
I hope this takeover is meant to take over the clients only and not the existing infrastructure. Because the infrastructure Hathway uses is pretty bad shape and their staff doesn't understand many technicalities. They aren't able to fix the 1.1.1.1 issue till now (CloudFlare DNS).

Secondly, Hathway works on the Docsis which isn't Fiber or FTTH.

ajgamer

Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
hathway has ftth in most cities
Which is junk and shit. I wouldn't bet on Hathway.

I clearly think a general problem with RIL is happening. It's a typical Indian Company who doesn't care about quality

msingh

Regular
Regulars
Jan 22, 2008
Which is junk and shit. I wouldn't bet on Hathway.

I clearly think a general problem with RIL is happening. It's a typical Indian Company who doesn't care about quality
Jio will be able to upgrade the existing network of these companies and will not be needed to go for 100 permission required to setup the fiber service.

ajgamer

Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
Jio will be able to upgrade the existing network of these companies and will not be needed to go for 100 permission required to setup the fiber service.
Even if they do so, it's clear it wouldn't work as expected it should. You might want to check the problems people face with Hathway.
Secondly, Jio itself has a lot of issues themselves.

Probably, it's a strategic move but it's more of a "Jugaad" and less of a quality move.

If Airtel removes their V-Fiber Gimmick and Introduce the Real Fiber through out India? They will win the race.

Jio is currently new (not even launched) and taking such moves will only harm in terms of quality.

In-Short: The give potential of Jio Fiber with the low-quality ISP such as Hathway/Den? It doesn't match the quality.

Also, Hathway and Den has wires from the trees, if that is what Jio wants to plan? GG.

Last edited: