• Thread starter Thread starter oldtimer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 3,744

oldtimer

Geriatrix
ISP
bsnl 256kbps home 250 plan
Hi folksBeginner's woes again!Sometime back I lost a dialup modem in a lightning strike. Luckily my pc escaped. With the new home plan from BSNL 200Rs/400Mb, it is quite tempting to get a connection. Though i do not download too much, i still fancy a fast connection. My question is, is it compulsory to leave the modem and pc connected together/powered up 24X7. I Remember someone mentioning that if a (broadband ) modem is shut down , it takes a long time to initialise! BTW I have an underground jelly-filled cable with a Junction box from bsnl running right to my doorstep. This carries my regular phone connection. Does bsnl use the same lines for B/B or will they have to install fresh cables? I suppose there are are some spare lines in that box. thanks

I suffered a side-streamer in March this year. The modem and the pc got burnt. The BSNL changed the modem next day. If the BSNL modem is properly configured then it will take 2-3 mins to reconnect. No need to keep it on 24x7.I am using a D-Link DSL 502T router though and surrendered the modem recently.73s de dxer

if u're not using the internet, u can safely disconnect/switch off the modem...it takes less than a minute to reconnect...and u don't need any extra cabling...DSL will come on ur existing line...

How about runing it through a surge protector, like you see on power strips. Then connect it to the splitter which goes to (modem + PC) and phone.

There is no need to keep the pc and modem on.It gets connected faster.BSNL uses the same line for BB.Just check out for putting up a GDT (Gas Discharge Tube) as a protection to your line ot find out if you can get optical isolators ( I have tried GDT) but not optical isolator.Sandeep

Got a URL to this GDT then ?How is it setup and at what cost ?

Thanks a lot guys. That is reassuring. Does BSNL provide a GDT on request or are we allowed to/required to install this and the splitter etc on our own?The local BSNL office here says the modem will cost Rs.1500/- to own or Rs.100/- pm as rent if hired. (BTW what is a type I modem?) In case of a failure like in this thread, will they replace owned ones or only the hired ones? Unfortunately, the staff at my local BSNL office don't seem to have come to grips with B/B details yet. (That is the only thing that puts me off)Thanks.

Another question is whether the hiring fee can be used to purchase the modem later on ?SO in 6 months u paid Rs.600, will the purchase price then be 1500-600 ?

We have veered away from the topic of lightning strike! One has to physically disconnect from the telephone line. The gizmos do not deter lightning.

Thanks dxer, You have been very emphatic in your reply, leaving no room for doubt. I agree that the safest thing is to physically disconnect.

On reading around the web, it seems that GDT tends to wear out. The power strips tend to have MOV's (Metal oxide Varistor's). Same problem with them as well. They recommend to use GDT along with MOV's or Silicon avalanche diodes. Got that from some site selling the above. The best you can hope for is protection from lightning induced surges. All of these solutions are heavily dependent on having good earth in the premises since that's were the surge will be sent to. I would really press those installing as to what precautions they take in this case. You may not always be at home to disconnect.

Cost is not much. Just drop into any electronics shops dealing with Phones and EPABX and ask for GDT.

Originally posted by dxer@Aug 17 2005, 07:08 AM
We have veered away from the topic of lightning strike! One has to physically disconnect from the telephone line. The gizmos do not deter lightning.
[snapback]21841[/snapback]
[/quote]

I disagree and I have never disconnected physically and never had problems. Remember here at Ooty (Queen of Hills Stations - more rains and more lightnings)

Once bitten, twice shy. I imported GDTs from siemens back in 1979. I could not direct the fury of the side-streamers even to the GDT not speak of the main blast. God helps them who help themselves.

one of my friends in the states has got all sorts of protections, yet when there is a severe thunderstorm accompanied by lightening, he physically disconnects his system. when questioned as to why he did that, considering that he has one of the best security systems installed.. his reply was.. `it is a one-in-a-million chance that lightening will strike my line, but if it does, no protection can save me from the same, especially when it happens to be in a direct path.' 🙂 pupudada