lightning strike

oldtimer

Geriatrix
[OP]
Regulars
Jun 19, 2005
Hi folksBeginner's woes again!Sometime back I lost a dialup modem in a lightning strike. Luckily my pc escaped. With the new home plan from BSNL 200Rs/400Mb, it is quite tempting to get a connection. Though i do not download too much, i still fancy a fast connection. My question is, is it compulsory to leave the modem and pc connected together/powered up 24X7. I Remember someone mentioning that if a (broadband ) modem is shut down , it takes a long time to initialise! BTW I have an underground jelly-filled cable with a Junction box from bsnl running right to my doorstep. This carries my regular phone connection. Does bsnl use the same lines for B/B or will they have to install fresh cables? I suppose there are are some spare lines in that box. thanks

dxer

Sleepwalker
Regulars
May 14, 2005
I suffered a side-streamer in March this year. The modem and the pc got burnt. The BSNL changed the modem next day. If the BSNL modem is properly configured then it will take 2-3 mins to reconnect. No need to keep it on 24x7.I am using a D-link DSL 502T router though and surrendered the modem recently.73s de dxer

coolbuddy_79

The Coolest One!!!
Regulars
Jan 30, 2005
if u're not using the internet, u can safely disconnect/switch off the modem...it takes less than a minute to reconnect...and u don't need any extra cabling...DSL will come on ur existing line...

blr_p

Regulars
Regulars
May 26, 2005
How about runing it through a surge protector, like you see on power strips. Then connect it to the splitter which goes to (modem + PC) and phone.

srrao

Regular
Regulars
Aug 3, 2005
There is no need to keep the pc and modem on.It gets connected faster.BSNL uses the same line for BB.Just check out for putting up a GDT (Gas Discharge Tube) as a protection to your line ot find out if you can get optical isolators ( I have tried GDT) but not optical isolator.Sandeep

blr_p

Regulars
Regulars
May 26, 2005
Got a URL to this GDT then ?How is it setup and at what cost ?

oldtimer

Geriatrix
[OP]
Regulars
Jun 19, 2005
Thanks a lot guys. That is reassuring. Does BSNL provide a GDT on request or are we allowed to/required to install this and the splitter etc on our own?The local BSNL office here says the modem will cost Rs.1500/- to own or Rs.100/- pm as rent if hired. (BTW what is a type I modem?) In case of a failure like in this thread, will they replace owned ones or only the hired ones? Unfortunately, the staff at my local BSNL office don't seem to have come to grips with B/B details yet. (That is the only thing that puts me off)Thanks.

blr_p

Regulars
Regulars
May 26, 2005
Another question is whether the hiring fee can be used to purchase the modem later on ?SO in 6 months u paid Rs.600, will the purchase price then be 1500-600 ?

dxer

Sleepwalker
Regulars
May 14, 2005
We have veered away from the topic of lightning strike! One has to physically disconnect from the telephone line. The gizmos do not deter lightning.

oldtimer

Geriatrix
[OP]
Regulars
Jun 19, 2005
Thanks dxer, You have been very emphatic in your reply, leaving no room for doubt. I agree that the safest thing is to physically disconnect.