• Views Views 5,829

pothi

@127.0.0.1
ISP
BSNL - 3G
VI - LTE
Airtel - LTE/5G
Jio - 5G
I don't know when it started. But, this morning, I wanted to call someone from BSNL telephone. There was no dial tone in it. Last night, it rained heavily here. So, I thought, the wire could be cut due to tree branch or something. But, to my surprise, the modem (and the internet) was working as though, they are the most sincere workers ready to serve me at any time. There is no drop in speed, either.

My first assumption was that my telephone instrument may be at fault due to lightning or something. But, the telephone from the nearby house isn't working either. No dial tone there too. Also, if the instrument has died due to lightning or something, that could've affected other electronics items. I have two wifi modems along with jiofi device running 24x7 (except for power failures).

I was too busy for most part of the day so I couldn't make a visit to the local exchange, even though, it is less than 5 minutes away from where I live. Also, since my work isn't affected due to no dial tone in the telephone, I didn't bother about it until now. Unfortunately, I will be out of station too for the next 7 to 14 days. I just couldn't imagine how it is possible to have a working internet connection without dial tone on the telephone. What could've possible gone wrong with the telephone? How does internet work (in ADSL)?

It's a shame that I studied electronics and communication.

Its not abnormal.

Have you tried making a call to the landline ?

Has happened 2-3 times with me... and all the time it was telephone line fault at junction box outside my building.

I've experienced the same couple of days ago, luckily the lineman has fixed it today for me. Check your ADSL link, are you getting the full line speed? In my case, the speed had dropped below 4000kbps and the internet was unstable. Also, if everything is alright, try ringing your landline from your mobile phone, the signal might wake up!

Check your ADSL link, are you getting the full line speed?

Just checked it. It's true that the line rate has dropped and the connection is highly unstable. Probably, I missed to notice it in the morning. I have both BSNL broadband and JioFi connected through the same wifi. So, it could be JioFi that was active since morning.

Have you tried making a call to the landline ?

Yes, I have. I can hear the other end (telephone) is ringing, but no actual ring in the telephone.

Will check with the lineman when I come back (in a couple of weeks at most).

@pothi
this same issue happened to me years ago when i first had BSNL connection.after complaining they did something on the exchange side and that issue got resolved