Apparently this FTTH problem happens to ONLY ME in the ALL of INDIA.

• Thread starter Thread starter Bolt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 47
  • Views Views 20,898
@Shubham They do support 3rd party ONTs but my case handler told me that they wont provide any troubleshooting if anything goes wrong with my connection.
So in a way, if your internet doesn't work fine and you are using 3rd party ONT they wont take your complaint unless you get BSNL provided ONT.
Atleast that's what he told me, but then again, he could have told me this because I am already having this issue for over 6 months now and introducing a 3rd party ONT might increase problems for him, because he might not have any experience on other ONTs.

@Bolt Aha okay I will get this clarified before applying for the connection.

So this is a bit off topic, what are the charges you pay for ONT? Which plan do you have? And are there any additional charges besides the other two mentioned above?

I believe that method would only add port forwarding to the AP or Router not the ONT, but anyway i'll give it a shot.
Actually this method adds portforwarding to the ONT instead of the router since router is connected in bridge mode and all the devices are been assigned the IP address from the ONT.
The first answerer claims Huawei support team confirms this model doesnt support port forwarding, but the second guy tells a method pretty similar to yours, that is configure the ONT in bridge mode and get the router in PPPoE moed, then add port rules in the router.
Seems Legit, but for now i'll let the BSNL guy do what he said.
As per my knowledge HG850a does not support bridge mode although i might be wrong but i did research the shit out of it. If there was any way to put ONT in bridge mode and router in pppoe mode then portforwarding wouldn't have been an issue,

It's possible that it might support bridge mode, if you are correct.
If they added port forwarding without listing it in tge router setup page, they probably might have added other featues too.
No way to be sure.

@PRAKASH G
They didn't give me a power supply, instead it's a 12v 4amps battery.
Although I do have fluctuations every now and then but since it's connected to a battery (DC).
But then again the battery is very wierd, because whenever there's a power cut, the battery never keeps the ONT running for even a second, even though it says it has 4 hour backup when fully charged. Its a 2010 model whoes warranty was expired in 2013 but I never really expected a shitty govt. Company to keep me updated with latest tech.
But anyway the battery itself is connected to outlet through 2 multipoint connectors, one of which also has a surge protector inbuilt, so fluctuations should not be an issue.

VOIP has been weird too, when this turn on/off cycle starts it doesn't work and the device simply acts like a dead phone only. When the link/auth are stable it works fine, although during some random times, if I pick up the reciever from handset the VOIP LED turns off, and turns back on if I put back the reciever, so during this time if someone calls me and I pick up the reciever it instantly disconnects the call.

@Bolt file a complaint on pgportal then after a week an RTI asking details about the official handling your complaint, what action taken, any penalty for not solving your complaint within time , any discount you are entitled to for non-functioning internet etc also some generic question like how much complaints that exchange receives per month/year, how much time it takes to solve them, name of officer working on complaints.

Both pgportal and RTI can be done online. Bhasad macha do phir sab bsnl senior official ko complaint , RTI ki copy email kr do.

@Shubham I pay Rs 90/- per month for ONT rent, my plan is Unlimited Combo 675/- which gives 10 mbps till FUP then 2 mbps untill the end of the month.
Apart from this I pay 18% tax so overall bill generated each month is rs 900/-
Also during first time, installation and wire charges will be taken and your plans 1 month fixed monthly cost will be taken.

@Smh @Nikhil Sharma I will if I see that his efforts are not towards fixing my connection, and instead towards transferring my issue to Vallabhbari office guys. XD

1 more thing I noticed, if anyone can help in that.
I have a Netgear wifi router attached to it and I connect my PC directly using lan cable and use wifi for smartphones and TV, but through wifi certain websites seems to be blocked, mostly the mainstream p**n sites and others including reddit, 4chan, youtube gaming, quora(sometimes a little bit of text loads in this) and a few others.
These work fine in my PC but not on wifi connected devices, I tried resetting my router to default which made the websites work for 10-15 minutes after which again they got blocked.
They just keep loading untill the browser gives a connection time out error.

I have a Netgear wifi router attached to it and I connect my PC directly using lan cable and use wifi for smartphones and TV, but through wifi certain websites seems to be blocked, mostly the mainstream p**n sites and others including reddit, 4chan, youtube gaming, quora(sometimes a little bit of text loads in this) and a few others.
These work fine in my PC but not on wifi connected devices, I tried resetting my router to default which made the websites work for 10-15 minutes after which again they got blocked.
They just keep loading untill the browser gives a connection time out error.

This is weird. It should never happen. Netgear provides regular firmware updates (compared to some other manufactures). Have you tried updating the fireware in netgear router?

Very weird indeed, theres actually a button in router setup page which checks for updates automatically, and it never found an update, but after reading your post I looked up netgears website just to be certain, and yes there the latest firmware seems to be different from what I have, upgrading right now.

Edit : Upgraded firmware still same issue persists.
I use the dns changer app from playstore on my phone though, which makes all websites work. It creates a VPN just with a different DNS to avoid dns filtering from ISPs so I guess it is something to do with BSNL only.

Edit 2 : Hey I noticed, that it's not just WiFi where certain sites aren't working, even on my PC connected with LAN cable some, fixed sites just keep on loading forever, including p**n sites and most AAA game studios websites like Rockstar Studios and Ubisoft.com (There Uplay App also doesn't load 70% of its features and is extremely slow in logging into the app too).

Last edited:
It is a DNS issue, BSNL's default DNS blocks users from giving access to certain sites i.e it does not resolve these sites. I just use google's dns (8.8.4.4 as primary since it has a 4ms ping ). I have changed the DNS to manual in my PC as well as mobile and entered google's DNS, you can do the same via Network adapter settings in the control panel.

Ofcourse I can, but banning major sites like reddit, ubisoft, 4chan...
I quite don't get it, and these sites work absolutely fine on my neighbours dsl broadband which is from bsnl too.

What I think is that the BSNL's Node or the area exchange is having some problem.

Secondly, ask them to change your tag on the exchange. (It's something Airtel does too if everything is fine at customer end and wiring).

Third, You might not be the only one facing this. They say this so that you back out. But it's not. It's a very well known fact that Bsnl is not a company you an rely.