Need some review of new BSNL Bharat Fiber FTTH Broadband Plans 777 / 1277

• Thread starter Thread starter N_lover27
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 660
  • Views Views 108,058
but when i opened the usage page i saw plan as 18G

Source

@iwantfreeinternet Your signal levels look great, -15 dBm is pretty good.

Yes, they did change the plan back to the original but then I think in some areas or connections its not being updated. You may have to open a ticket with them.

Cloning the MAC unfortunately didn't work, I don't know if its the ONT or my OpenWRT router, but when the MAC address of my router's WAN interface matched with any of the MAC addresses of the ONT's interfaces (there are multiple), not necessarily the main interface, but even any of the WAN interfaces, it just didn't work, I couldn't even ping the ONT.

I tried to change the ONT's WAN interface MAC addresses, but unfortunately didn't work. 🙁 I might just need to get the MAC address binding reset from BSNL's side.

So finally, I got the bridge mode thing done. So it was the MAC binding on BSNL's side, on their PPP authentication server to be precise (and nothing to do with the OLT). I had called the BSNL exchange and they advised to get in touch with the LCO who would co-ordinate with the BSNL guys (I don't know why, but BSNL could have helped me directly )

Anyway, so I reached out to the LCO contact person, he connected me to his tech guy who helped co-ordinate with BSNL. At first I directly shared my primary router's WAN side MAC address with him so that BSNL can pre-configure it. That didn't work out for some reason. Then today the LCO tech guy asked me to configure PPPoE with test credentials which he shared (bbtest was the username). For this user, authentication completed successfully from my primary router (and I was relieved that there was no config error on my side 😉), I then informed the LCO tech guy who in turn spoke to BSNL and then they updated the config on their end to allow authentication from the new MAC address. I was then able to configure my own creds and things just worked!

TBH it took a good 3-4 weeks to get this done (I agree I wasn't following up constantly), but at the most this should have been just a support ticket raised through their site / call center. Now I had to jump through too many hoops to actually get this working.

Anyway I'm glad that it's finally done!

Last edited:
So I've been noticing something interesting since I added monitoring to detect when the internet goes down. (I use Cron Monitoring - Get Alerts When Your Cron Jobs Fail | Healthchecks.io)
Every day between 12 AM to 1 AM, the PPP link drops exactly twice. The timing isn't fixed, but it happens within this one hour, maybe a few minutes here and there. It reconnects quickly within a minute or so. I wonder if its some daily reboot or something, but then the lack of a fixed timing puzzles me. The logs confirm that the PPP link errors out and it indeed reconnects. Will need to do some digging to see if its my LCO's OLT that gets restarted or if its BSNL's PPPoE authentication server which gets restarted or something.

STnZ2eY.png

(To the obvious question as to how the failure notification gets sent, I have a backup WAN (Jio 4G) so when BSNL goes down, it fails over to that, which you can notice from the IP address sending the failure notification)

Anybody tried the annual plan cash back offer? For annual plans, we anyway need to pay only for 10 months, plus we get 25% cash back.

The cash back would be exclusive of GST, so if you opt for the 500 GB annual plan, I think it will come to
Rs 777 * 10 ie Rs 7770 + GST = Rs 9168 plus a cash back of Rs 1942 which would cover for 2 months including GST.

So it comes down to pay for 10 months, get service for 14 months ie Rs 655 per month incl GST as compared to Rs 916 pm for monthly payments.

SAVE_20190306_122755.jpeg

This didn't work out as I had hoped 🙁 They billed me for the whole 12 months and not the discounted annual amount as displayed on their site ie Rs 7770. I have registered a complaint, hopefully it can be fixed.

Source

So I've been noticing something interesting since I added monitoring to detect when the internet goes down. (I use Cron Monitoring - Get Alerts When Your Cron Jobs Fail | Healthchecks.io)
Every day between 12 AM to 1 AM, the PPP link drops exactly twice. The timing isn't fixed, but it happens within this one hour, maybe a few minutes here and there. It reconnects quickly within a minute or so. I wonder if its some daily reboot or something, but then the lack of a fixed timing puzzles me. The logs confirm that the PPP link errors out and it indeed reconnects. Will need to do some digging to see if its my LCO's OLT that gets restarted or if its BSNL's PPPoE authentication server which gets restarted or something.

STnZ2eY.png

(To the obvious question as to how the failure notification gets sent, I have a backup WAN (Jio 4G) so when BSNL goes down, it fails over to that, which you can notice from the IP address sending the failure notification)

So I added more data to the health check pings, it scrapes the ONT web interface and gathers the optical power, link status etc and sends it along with the health check ping.

From this I think it's the LCO's OLT device which loses power or some device in between which resets. I'll monitor for some more days and reach out to the LCO, it definitely helps when you have hard data to show that the link was down. 😀

IUIScGW.png

I am currently using BSNL ADSL connection with a bandwidth of 20mbps but still i get around 9 mbps due to the losses occuring during transmission in copper, for which i am paying more than Rs 1000 i recently came across this BSNL ftth plan of a speed of 50 mbps also saw many YouTube videos in which the speed test shows 48-50 mbps without much loss due to optical transmission , also the cost was just 777 , so i visited my nearest BSNL office for a FTTH, but i was denied with the reason that in my area FTTH has not yet been laid down, still i contacted the JE and requested him to provide a FTTH connection, but still he gave the same reason, but by slip of his tongue he admitted "that in my area there is no where BSNL FTTH is present expect a huge apartment(flat)" now that specific apartment which he mentioned is much farther from my home, also my home is nearer to the bsnl center then the flat/apartments which he mentioned ,
also it should be understood that it is the same bsnl center which provides the FTTH connection to the flat/ apartment, which is much farther from the centre compared to my home which is very near,
also it clearly implies that BSNL centre do have the necessary equipment to provide FTTH (as they are providing to the flat/apartment) but due to some reason they are reluctant to provide to me,

their only reason is that it is not feasible in my area, but my question is if it is not feasible in my area then how come to some apartment which really far away from my home and more importantly from the bsnl center got the connection, but where as individual customer who is nearby comparatively to the apartment/flat is denied, i am puzzled whether should i take this issue to higher authorities. Please give some suggestion.

@bbuser1091 I'm not sure of your area etc, but we cannot necessarily assume that the FTTH service is provided from that office you went to. For example in my case, the nearest BSNL exchange from where my previous ADSL service was provided from is 2.5 - 3 km away from my home, but the FTTH service is provided from a different BSNL office which is 6-7 km away in a different direction.

So you would need to verify the same in your area.

@varkey even i too had the same doubt but JE with whom i spoke he himself conformed that it is the same office which i am receiving ADSL is also providing the FTTH to that flat.

So I added more data to the health check pings, it scrapes the ONT web interface and gathers the optical power, link status etc and sends it along with the health check ping.

From this I think it's the LCO's OLT device which loses power or some device in between which resets. I'll monitor for some more days and reach out to the LCO, it definitely helps when you have hard data to show that the link was down. 😀

I am unable to check fiber power, can't find the option. Can you please help me locate the power settings? ONT is BSNL provided Huawei EchoLife HG850a.