Need some review of new BSNL Bharat Fiber FTTH Broadband Plans 777 / 1277

• Thread starter Thread starter N_lover27
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 660
  • Views Views 108,095
My input power level was initially -15 dBm which was decent but then my LCO did some "splicing maintenance work" for extra customer capacity and now my power level is -25 to -26 dBm ! Though I am not facing any issues so far, yeah, fingers crossed 😀

How to check power level?

I want to know, how can I create a Dial Up/on Demand connection like ADSL broadband? i.e. Connect when I want without turning on/off the ONT?

My input power level was initially -15 dBm which was decent but then my LCO did some "splicing maintenance work" for extra customer capacity and now my power level is -25 to -26 dBm ! Though I am not facing any issues so far, yeah, fingers crossed 😀

Interesting, yeah I guess as long as the power level is within the receive sensitivity range of the ONT, it should be fine I suppose. For the ONT that I have (Netlink), the online specifications show that as -28 dBm or -27 dBM (varies between different sites).

Which is your ONT @vishalrao

How to check power level?

I want to know, how can I create a Dial Up/on Demand connection like ADSL broadband? i.e. Connect when I want without turning on/off the ONT?

Most ONTs display the power level in their status page or something. So try navigating to the different pages on your ONTs management UI.

For my Netlink ONT, its shown on this page -- http://192.168.0.1/status_epon_en.asp (IP address of course would vary depending on how you have set it up)

Regarding Dial UP on demand, is there an issue in keeping it on always? Personally I don't see the point in dial on demand etc.

@varkey my ONT is Digisol DG-GR1010 - it's a basic unit with just single gigabit ethernet port.

Now when I think about it, I should have just got a basic ONT rather than with WIFI etc (I am going to have the inbuilt WIFI disabled anyway). The only reason I asked for a non-basic ONT is to get the telephone port as BSNL is giving free calls, which is pretty much not needed.

Something like your DigiSol or NETLINK GPON ONT(1GE Secure ONT)(HG2801SG) – Current Optronics would have made more sense for me, cheaper too. Well 🤷‍♂️

Power level above -28 is good. I have -24 dBM in MTNL.
Just wondering does power level affect the max attainable speeds like DSL in FTTH?

Finally my BSNL FTTH connection is almost up, I had applied sometime in October or so, and two weeks back I got a call from the local cable operator saying that they are ready to give the connection. They have their line going right in front of my house too.

Anyway this week I called them up and told them to process the connection. This LCO has a Rs 1000 installation charge, and the ONT we can purchase it or they will provide.

Since I didn't want the hassle of purchasing an incompatible ONT and delays in delivery etc, I told them to provide the ONT. They said it would be Rs 2500 or so for it. Netlink ONT with Wifi and telephone port.

They completed the wiring yesterday, used hard and really thick outdoor cabling I think. They did the wiring pretty well from their post on the road to the room. The LCO doesn't have their own fibre splicing equipment, so that was done today as its outsourced to some other guy.

The power level seemed little low on the optical meter which showed - 22 dBm.

Then tonight they came with the ONT, they also had the connection information, BSNL appears to be provisioning the user accounts etc and sharing with these guys over WhatsApp. However the connection info didn't work or there is some configuration error, they said they have to go back and make some changes on their OLT. Probably by tomorrow it should be running.

As of now the fibre link seems good, but PPPoE authentication fails. Also, the ONTs web UI shows the power level as some -24 dBM (lesser than the optical power meter reading), so I am a bit worried as the ONT's receive sensitivity is some -27 dBm.

Anyway fingers crossed.

So my connection is up, so far so good. It was some issue at BSNL's end, once they fixed it, internet connected automatically. I didn't even realise it got fixed as I had setup my OpenWRT router for auto failover.

Getting more than 50 mbps over WiFi (this is with my own Wireless AP)

Will explore a bit and then switch to bridge mode and let my primary router do NAT and things.

Also, I got assigned a public IP address, not some CG-NAT stuff.

So today i Was getting around 30 mbps speed on my 100 mbps plan for most of the day with 117.x.x.x IP series in Pune. Rebooted my modem and got 103.x.x.x IP series and full 100 mbps speed now. Not sure if it was BSNL server problem or problem with my modem.

Maybe some mis-configuration on their end I suppose. They seem to have multiple IP pools etc which probably get routed differently? 🤷‍♂️

Ok, so I having a hard time in getting this Netlink HG323RGW / HG323RW to work in bridge mode. There is an option to enable bridge mode, but once enabled, I am unable to authenticate over PPPoE.

Below is how its in router mode

BmXJUJD.png

Below is how I setup bridge mode

flb9yxc.png

In router mode ie the ONT does NAT and everything, the PPPoE connection connects immediately and everything works. However in bridge mode, I tried to configure PPPoE auth from my windows PC as well as the OpenWRT router, doesn't work at all. It fails during authentication, saying some policy failed.

Something along the lines of

CHAP authentication failed: policy failed

I wonder if its a device issue, would need to test more. Anyone here using a Netlink ONT configured in bridge mode?

@varkey fuptopup IP address showing same for me too. for bridge mode issue, try unchecking the "enable VLAN" option in the modem?

Thanks @vishalrao I wonder why the fuptopup link doesn't open for me then. Maybe I will raise a complaint and see what they say. .

Regarding bridge mode, yes I tried that. So without "Enable VLAN", it doesn't even initiate the PPPoE PAP/CHAP handshake. Which might make sense too, cause we need to tell which VLAN to use right? So that it matches to what is configured on the other side?

Now I am wondering whether there is some setting on the OLT for it to work in bridge mode? But then the other argument is that, to the other end it shouldn't matter who authenticates right, the ONT or anther device? Unless they are doing some sort of MAC binding? 🤔 In which case I would need to clone my OpenWRT router's MAC to match that of the ONT ethernet MAC.

Edit : It might actually just be due to Mac binding, I just saw another post by @mayank yadav here which says the same -- Unable to Connect to Internet through router. | Bharat Fiber Broadband (BSNL FTTH)
Unfortunately I don't have time today to try that, will test that the next time I come to my HomeTown! 🙂