Need some review of new BSNL Bharat Fiber FTTH Broadband Plans 777 / 1277

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
Maybe some mis-configuration on their end I suppose. They seem to have multiple IP pools etc which probably get routed differently? 🤷‍♂️

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
Ok, so I having a hard time in getting this Netlink HG323RGW / HG323RW to work in bridge mode. There is an option to enable bridge mode, but once enabled, I am unable to authenticate over PPPoE.

Below is how its in router mode

Below is how I setup bridge mode

In router mode ie the ONT does NAT and everything, the PPPoE connection connects immediately and everything works. However in bridge mode, I tried to configure PPPoE auth from my windows PC as well as the OpenWRT router, doesn't work at all. It fails during authentication, saying some policy failed.

Something along the lines of

CHAP authentication failed: policy failed
I wonder if its a device issue, would need to test more. Anyone here using a Netlink ONT configured in bridge mode?

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
I am not able to access http://fuptopup.bsnl.co.in/, it just times out. Is there any other URL where you can see data usage etc?

Also, can someone else confirm that the hostname resolves to the below IP address?

➜ ~ dig +short fuptopup.bsnl.co.in
➜ ~

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
Regulars
Jan 21, 2005
Pune
@varkey fuptopup IP address showing same for me too. for bridge mode issue, try unchecking the "enable VLAN" option in the modem?

Reactions: varkey

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
Thanks @vishalrao I wonder why the fuptopup link doesn't open for me then. Maybe I will raise a complaint and see what they say. .

Regarding bridge mode, yes I tried that. So without "Enable VLAN", it doesn't even initiate the PPPoE PAP/CHAP handshake. Which might make sense too, cause we need to tell which VLAN to use right? So that it matches to what is configured on the other side?

Now I am wondering whether there is some setting on the OLT for it to work in bridge mode? But then the other argument is that, to the other end it shouldn't matter who authenticates right, the ONT or anther device? Unless they are doing some sort of MAC binding? 🤔 In which case I would need to clone my OpenWRT router's MAC to match that of the ONT ethernet MAC.

Edit : It might actually just be due to Mac binding, I just saw another post by @mayank yadav here which says the same -- Unable to Connect to Internet through router. | Bharat Fiber Broadband (BSNL FTTH)
Unfortunately I don't have time today to try that, will test that the next time I come to my hometown! :)

VivekA

Regulars
Feb 5, 2019
Wth! I am again throttled to 2 Mbps after 25gb even though self-care says 750gb fup. Is anyone else also experiencing this?

dogchap

Feb 7, 2019
My connection is ok, no throttling. you can book a complaint from your selfcare portal.

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
So today i Was getting around 30 mbps speed on my 100 mbps plan for most of the day with 117.x.x.x IP series in Pune. Rebooted my modem and got 103.x.x.x IP series and full 100 mbps speed now. Not sure if it was BSNL server problem or problem with my modem.
I think I got hit by the same thing, so what I have noticed is, when I get an IP in the 117.x.x.x range, the speeds are not so great and you might not get the full speed. However in my case when I get an IP in 27.x.x.x range, I get the full speed always and performance is way better.

I think it's similar to your case @vishalrao, where the 103.x.x.x gives the full speed and the 117.x.x.x gives a not so optimal speeds.

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
Another strange thing with my Netlink ONT that bit me was, none of my recent config changes (be it changing password, or any change done in the management UI) were persisting after a reboot. I had configured the telephone VOIP things and it was working, but after a power failure everything got reverted.

So the issue was that I had enabled logging, and there is no mechanism within the ONT device to truncate the logs or just keep the last x kilobytes of the logs. It keeps on writing the logs until the config filesystem is full, and it doesn't even get deleted on reboot. In my case, the /var/config filesystem was full and none of my config changes were able to persist to disk as the disk was full, so on reboot, it just took the last known working configuration.

As to how I fixed it, I was able to telnet in and just delete the syslog file in the /var/config folder. Luckily it was mounted rw (well if they are writing the logs there, it must be rw ;))

TL;DR - If you have a Netlink ONT, do NOT enable local logging, use remote syslog logging if you really want logs.

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
Thanks @vishalrao I wonder why the fuptopup link doesn't open for me then. Maybe I will raise a complaint and see what they say. .
So http://fuptopup.bsnl.co.in opens if I am on a 117.x.x.x IP range, however it errors out with the below message. It appears as though they have not allowed my IP range or something. When on the 27.x.x.x IP range, it just times out.

I have opened a complaint ticket anyway, it's in progress, let's see.