Want to connect D-Link router to BSNL ftth

• Thread starter Thread starter lucky.ans88
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 24,427
My ont IP is 202.157.86.1 and router is 202.157.76.2
Is it ok?

Could you please show a screenshot from both devices showing these IP addresses?

If you are getting allocated two IP addresses, and internet actually works, I'd like to see how. Perhaps its a mis config on BSNL's side too if you are getting two IP addresses.

No that wouldn't work.

You need to set your ONT device in bridge mode, and then connect the cable from the ONT to the LAN port 4 as mentioned earlier by others. If you are unable to set the ONT to bridge mode no changes on D-Link router will work, cause it will simply do double NAT (not what you want).

@varkey i am on bsnl ftth with same routers as OP. And this particular ONT does not support bridge mode. but you can set D-Link to bridge mode like i have explained in detail so that all the devices connected to dlink have their IP's assigned by ONT since dlink is on bridge mode. So there will be no double NAT issues since dlink is essentially doing nothing other than acting as a bridge between devices connected and the ONT.

Yep, I understand that. I was referring to the OPs requirement of doing NAT/PPPOE on the D-Link which wouldn't be possible without the ONT being in bridge mode (which you pointed out isn't feasible with the device) or it would end up with double NAT.

I am curious though, why do you need to explicitly set the D-Link in bridge mode? You could simply disable the DHCP server on the D-Link and connect the ONT to any of the LAN ethernet ports on the D-Link. The D-Link would then automatically work as a dumb AP.

So in this case if ONT has an ip range of 192.168.100.x and D-Link has 192.168.1.x then what IP will the devices get if they connect to the network via Dlink?

Since the DHCP server of the D-Link is disabled, all clients would be allocated IP addresses by the ONT's DHCP server.

However, as the D-Link is on a different subnet, you wouldn't be able to access the D-Link WebUI, so I would set the IP address of the D-Link to be in the same subnet as that of the ONT but outside of the DHCP range.

In this config, D-Link would simply be a dumb AP.

Since the DHCP server of the D-Link is disabled, all clients would be allocated IP addresses by the ONT's DHCP server.

Yes you are actually right. i never realized that disabling dhcp server would make this router run in bridge mode. i thought that it will still work as a router and IP's(192.168.1.x) would have to be statically assigned to all devices

Are you able to forward your ports? also can you share image of pppoe setting on the Tenda, i will try it with my D-Link router as well. Also can you share the version of HG850a by going into basic info on the admin page.

Manufacturer:Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Style:HG850A
SN.:48575522e9f04
IP:192.168.100.1
HW Ver:HG850aGTH.B
SW Ver:V100R001C05SPC907