Looking for a decent load balancer under 5-6k

• Thread starter Thread starter Rehan Kumar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 3,263
ISP
Airtel FTTH
I am thinking of getting a load balancing router but I don't have much idea but them, do they switch to 2nd connection very quickly if one fails or does it take time?
Products that need to be imported are also fine.

my experience with TP-Link and edgerouter x has been that they take a while (8-10 seconds?). tplink did not even used to switch back to primary connection when it came back fast. edgerouter is performing better. ended up switching to load balance mode on tplink. though this might be more to do with the type of configuration at lSP's end. or i might not have configured the device properly.

running the device in load balance mode might provide better constant connectivity.

well the size. edgerouter fits in your palm. TP-Link router is bigger than dth set top boxes.
tp-link no longer has software updates for the two models that were on sale on Amazon. my unit was last updated on 2015.
edgerouter x is actively maintained. gets update on a monthly basis with bug fixes and new features.
tplink also does not have gigabit ports (the two models in the 3-5K range). edgerouter has gigabit ports.

edgerouter x configuration is different from tplink in a sense that you can change load balancing settings on the fly on tplink like in regular routers. on edgerouter, you have to pretty much reset the router whenever you have to make a change like switching from failover to load balance mode. you cannot change wan settings on the fly. at least not in the front user interface from my understanding. so it is slightly complicated than tplink.

edgerouter behaves more like a mini linux machine where a lot of advance features need to be accessed by running commands on terminal. but load balance/failover features are now available in frontend. so it is manageable even for users with some understanding of how networking works.

Get TP-Link TL-R480T+ if:
1. You plan to keep switching between load balancing and failover modes. Quite easy on this.
2. You want the router interface to be simple.

Get ER-X if:
1. You need Gigabit WAN/LAN ports.
2. You need better load balancing capabilities.
3. You are good in networking.
4. You don't plan to switch between load balancing and failover modes. It's might be easy if you know terminal commands. Otherwise you'll need to run the wizard again which means reconfiguration of router.

There are tons of options on ER-X which even I am yet to explore. Not getting enough time.

TP-Link drops firmware support on older hardware revisions of their models quite fast. 480T+ is on hardware revision V9 while 470T+ is on V6.

also do remember that both of these devices are just routers. they do not have the wireless component. so you might want to consider one of the Asus wireless routers that has integrated load balancing capability with two wan ports.

Or get a OpenWRT capable router like the Asus RT-AC58U (Gigabit with wireless), install OpenWRT along with the mwan3 package. You can easily configure failover and load balancing. I have not use load balancing, but failover worked flawlessly.

You can define the number of health check probes to fail before the connection is switched, also the health check probe IP addresses too. So its fully customisable.

However once you install OpenWRT you may not be able to achieve Gigabit routing/NAT WAN --> LAN, however it would be able to do 100-300 Mbps or more depending on the hardware of the router.

Another option is a Mikrotik RouterOs based devices like the hap ac2 -- MikroTik (comes to around 6.2k in India)

Last edited:
100 Mbps will soon be outdated I guess so its better to be future proof and get a gigabit one, ubiquity seems to have a pretty solid reputation so I will buy edgerouter x.
Its a shame ubiquity products are not available by major sellers online and others sell it extremely expensive, they seem to have lots of nice products.

Ubiquity products are available in major online portals, but they have high margins. The not-so-famous portals do provide Ubiquity products at a fair price. For example, multilinkonline [dot] com provides most products at a lower price than sellers in Amazon. Please contact them via email for a quote and send the money via NEFT, though. Their online portal doesn't seem to be monitored anymore.

@Rehan Kumar Do note that the EdgeRouter X cannot do routing/NAT at full gigabit speeds. Its limited by hardware. I think if you are looking for around 500 Mbps should be OK, but otherwise it won't be a good solution.
It can gigabit routing (as far as I remember), if you don't need QOS, using hw offloading. The only limitations is the gigabit routing for edgerouter is limited at 1 gigabit for both upload and download. You can either route at 1 gigabit download or 1 gigabit upload but not both simultaneously (rarely happens).

If anyone is interested in the hap ac2, this is the latest quote I got from Multilinkonline

The price is increased by 100, but shipping charges were bit less (I believe it is based on the location). Here's what I got from my "order confirmation email"...

Subtotal: Rs.4,300
Discount: Rs.0
Shipping: Rs.144
Sales Tax: Rs.800
Balance Due: Rs.5,244

Yeah I have seen that earlier too, they give slightly different prices when asked over email as compared to the website. Especially with shipping costs, when checked through the website its 144 or so, but over email its higher.

The one I posted was a quote from them this morning at 11 AM or so. 🤔