Ather 340 - Ather 450 - Ather 450X

IBF

Shitposter
I am kind of amazed that the first time I read about this was through some random tweet that landed on my timeline. A project like this would have resulted in thousands of articles calling this company the Tesla of India.

H9sBTAB.png

Anyhow... The few minutes I spent on the website tells me this.

Company is based in Bangalore.
They are launching two electric scooters.
It's a hi-fi scooter featuring a 7 inch touchscreen dashboard with app support with over the air updates.
You pay more than Rs. 1 lakh for the scooter. Over that, you pay a subscription that takes care of recharging and maintenance costs.
Though there is still a limited 2/3 warranty on scooter and battery so you are not really fully covered over a longer time period.
They have recharging points all over Bangalore. Claim is that you would never find yourself more than 4KM from a charging point.

Check the website for more details. It definitely looks very interesting. Something that you would expect launching in silicon valley in USA!

Ather Energy

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
I also read it 2 days back on Moneycontrol.com.

It is twice the price of regular scooter..... Maintenance @700PM for a scooter without engine is too much.

And why they are investing on Charging Grid, let everyone carry their own charger like mobile.

I guess we will have it at the price of regular scooter once the competition catches up...

because the charger is not really portable? charging grid has a future. they can provide charging points to other companies with time.

The charger is portable.....
-- dead tinypic image removed --
They are unnecessarily increasing their overhead with grid. The lower the entry level... the longer they could have survived....

the scooter probably has zero space to store helmet. like other scooters let you do under the seat. i am not sure how you think establishing a grid increases costs for them! they get free publicity. people see grids they realize that if they invest in this product, they can charge it at any of the grid around the city. and eventually they would start charging for the service (they do it through subscription model right now but eventually it could become pay for what you use) and offer it to other companies. a lot of companies are already working on establishing electric charging stations in many major cities i believe. these are basically the petrol pumps of the future. the more you have, the bigger clientbase you would have in the coming years!

portable charger means you would have to carry around with you the entire thingy and hope to find a power plug accessible in an outside location. where are you going to get a power socket outside your home, in a society parking, in the parking of your office! and of course there is always a possibility that someone would just steal it off your scooter 😀

Personally I charge my phone overnight and think many/ most people do. And how inconvenient it will be to charge your vehicle while you are going to/ coming from office. Though they definitely give free publicity......

The other EV scooters I have seen, do have helmet space and it seems, even this one has....
-- dead tinypic image removed --

I do not understand what they mean by
"""Fast charging...... up to 80% at 1 km/min"""'

assume that the scooter has a range of 60KM.
your office is around 25KM from the office.
you would definitely want to recharge it at office right?

fast charging up to 80% at 1KM/min is just a stupid way of saying...

assuming the range is 60KM.
80% of 60KM is 48KM.
So it would take 48 minutes for the battery to reach 80%.
Like with smartphone chargers, charging would slow down for the remaining 20%. Might take an hour for this.

chalo. this means that they are not likely to just disappear in a few months after selling a bunch of scooters!

their business model still does not make sense for cities that does not have a high IT population where companies have large campuses with enough parking space where they can install their charging stations.

most cities are just too congested and have limited parking space around offices.