Are my snr and attenuation numbers alright?

• Thread starter Thread starter mvpcc999
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 1,345
ISP
BSNL
pzAz3sE.jpg

Everything is working great. Just want to know numbers are okay or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made a sticky under BSNL subforum about this. Check it out.

@mvpcc999 Your snr's just average. Could be much better. Attenuations are fine. Have your line checked by the lineman and if possible ask for a fresh connection (replacing cable). Make sure the number of joints are kept to a minimum and that your internet cable is not close to heavy electrical lines. Your attainable rate is what stumps me. It's set to max. 5584 which is like half the value for people who are enjoying 8 Mbps speeds (approx. 10,240 Kbps!). I don't think your speeds would go more than 4.5 - 5 Mbps. The minimum speed set by BSNL since Nov.,2017 is 8 Mbps. Talk to your JTO/Exchange and ask them the reason for setting your attainable line rate to the above value. If they do nothing, call your nearest NIB and keep pestering them to set your attainable rate to a decent number. It is also possible that your rate cannot be set more than the current value because of line constraints but copper line is very much capable of handling 10k+ rates.

@sniper I just complained about frequent disconnection problem and they do something and now its more stable. Should i complain at 1500 or is there a way to call your lineman? And what should i tell them? That I'm not getting speed(I'm getting max 3-4mbps)? Or tell them to check line and that I'm not getting good snr rate? Can i have you id or something to talk to you? Thanks man.

@mvpcc999 Raising an official query might not get you desired results/effects. In response what they'd do is simply call you and inquire if your internet is working or not and if you have a stable connection (dsl link) - the answer to both of which would be yes, following that they'd close the complaint and mark it as "solved". It's better you visit the exchange in person and have a chat with someone like the JTO or if possible the General Manager of your circle and tell them that you are getting max. speeds of 3-4 Mbps which is almost half of the promised speed (i.e. if you are on a 8 Mbps plan). Make sure you are polite with your queries. Your lineman is the person who visits you from BSNL to resolve technical issues. It is always advisable to have his phone number with you. I have befriended my last two linemen and whenever I have issues with my broadband, I call them directly instead of raising an official complaint @1500. They have without fail always visited me within an hour of calling to resolve my issues. What I do in return is keep them happy during Diwali (once a year). I have had the good fortune to deal with good linemen who have always taken care of small issues for me even without me calling them like clean the DP box often (bird nests and bees infestation), check if the insulations of the cable are intact or not etc. They might not know the technical knowhow of resolving issues like low SNR, high attenuation or low max. attainable rate which is why you must talk to your exchange officers, failing which call the NIB guys. Go through the first 10-20 pages of this post ( BSNL Broadband is now offering 8mbps as minimum speeds on almost all their plans | BSNL Broadband) and see how our other friends have resolved similar issues of low attainable line rates by talking to BSNL employees and NIB.

Last edited:
@mvpcc999 Your snr's just average. Could be much better. Attenuations are fine. Have your line checked by the lineman and if possible ask for a fresh connection (replacing cable). Make sure the number of joints are kept to a minimum and that your internet cable is not close to heavy electrical lines. Your attainable rate is what stumps me. It's set to max. 5584 which is like half the value for people who are enjoying 8 Mbps speeds (approx. 10,240 Kbps!). I don't think your speeds would go more than 4.5 - 5 Mbps. The minimum speed set by BSNL since Nov.,2017 is 8 Mbps. Talk to your JTO/Exchange and ask them the reason for setting your attainable line rate to the above value. If they do nothing, call your nearest NIB and keep pestering them to set your attainable rate to a decent number. It is also possible that your rate cannot be set more than the current value because of line constraints but copper line is very much capable of handling 10k+ rates.
what is NIB and why should we contact them?

I'm probably being dumb but exchange as in same as where i pay bill right? And should i ask for JTO or NIB?( I don't know what either of them means)

NIB is the National Internet Backbone, BSNL's project that oversees the infrastructure required for providing broadband services to it's customers - home, business, corporate offices etc in almost 550 different districts in India. Here's a link where you will find the contact address for the SDE (Sub-Divisional Engineer) who can help you with your attainable rate problems. Select circle appropriately.

Leased Line Database query

JTO = Junior Technical Officer. You will find him in your nearest Telephone Exchange (yes, the same place where you go to pay your bills).

That's the best help I can provide. Maybe @aatuif or @Sushubh can provide more info.