Internet prices around the world

• Thread starter Thread starter blr_p
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 8,111
hmm, yep, i guess i got the settle for low speeds and low download limits... low class broadband 🙂boohoo

till there's more competition...i'm expecting that when reliance comes in picture...let's see...

I'm in Fairfax, Virginia (about 35 kms south-west) of washington DC.I have Cox Cable Internet.Regular price -- $40 / 4 Mbps (no download limit)Regular price -- $25 / 256 kbps (no download limit)Discounted price (for first 6 months) -- $15 / 4 MbpsT-Mobile GPRSRegular price -- $20 / 16Kbps - 24 Kbps (no download limit)In Thane, BombayBPL GPRS ( for 3 yrs now)Regular price -- Rs500 / 16Kbps - 24 Kbps (no download limit)

Yep, even my uncle who lives in NJ pays a flat $20/month for a 3mbps connection. But, it's the US, they'll always have the best of everything....... *sigh* So no point comparing. Will just end up depressed. 😛

Originally posted by waterloo_sunset@Oct 18 2005, 03:34 PM
Yep, even my uncle who lives in NJ pays a flat $20/month for a 3mbps connection. But, it's the US, they'll always have the best of everything....... *sigh* So no point comparing. Will just end up depressed.  😛
[snapback]28896[/snapback]
[/quote]

actually when it comes to internet connectivity, south east asia and some european countries are having better than USA. 🙂

if they hav best of everything...then why the prob of outsourcing[/b]

they have everything, other than the manpower 😛 :lol:

Yep for sure some EU & S.E Asian countries have faster connections but i think after a point the speeds just becomes theoretical. Like i would be satisfied with an 8mbps connection. Thereis only so much stuff to download and as it is continuous downloading at such high speeds wud kill one's hard drive. Ultra high speed internet will only make sense when a majority of the ppl have it, all the servers support it and Hard drives are replaced with Flash ROM which support very high transfer rates and are reliable since there are no moving parts. So right now sweden rolling out 1 gbps connections is ridiculous. It's like google claiming a 2.5 gb inbox (although we all know it's just talk coz they don't allocate space or anything, it's made available as u use it and who the heck is gonna have 2.5 gb of mails). Maybe these countries should lend their excess bandwidth to us so that we can come up to speed, coz u know it will ultimately benefit them in the long run 😛

Originally posted by waterloo_sunset@Oct 19 2005, 07:18 AM
Yep for sure some EU & S.E Asian countries have faster connections but i think after a point the speeds just becomes theoretical. Like i would be satisfied with an 8mbps connection. Thereis only so much stuff to download and as it is continuous downloading at such high speeds wud kill one's hard drive. Ultra high speed internet will only make sense when a majority of the ppl have it, all the servers support it and Hard drives are replaced with Flash ROM which support very high transfer rates and are reliable since there are no moving parts.

My comp is 5 yrs old, and is PCI100....that is 100Mbit/s ok...

More recent ones are even faster. SO your 8Mbit/s broadband won't cause ur HD any probs cept that it will be full very quickly.

Originally posted by vishalrao@Aug 14 2005, 02:15 AM
yea, its sarcasm for me being stuck amongst village idiots 🙂

1mbps is the bare minimum for decent broadband experience... for example, installing linux over ftp, takes almost the whole day on my 512kbps, on 1 mbps should be bearable.

life will be better with 1 mbps 🙂
[snapback]21278[/snapback]
[/quote]

Was reading an article on Salon, the text of which is here

It's interesting to read that 256K was picked as the minimum figure to denote broadband in the US. In fact it was purposely chosen to make broadband penetration in the US look higer than it actually is. Affect perception that the problem was not as bad as it is.

The Canadians use 1.5Mbit/s as their minimum for broadband. Fat chance TRAI will change their current defintion.

Originally posted by blr_p@Oct 19 2005, 11:23 AM
My comp is 5 yrs old, and is PCI100....that is 100Mbit/s ok...

More recent ones are even faster. SO your 8Mbit/s broadband won't cause ur HD any probs cept that it will be full very quickly.
[snapback]28975[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mate, that PC100 interface ur mentioning is just a theoretical measure of transfer speeds that can be achieved with ur HDD, but due to various bottlenecks such as memory throughput n such ur PC100 HDD cant read/write at more that 30 mbps which has been proven through tests conducted by techies. Even the ones available right now for home use(SATA, 7200 rpm) can't transfer at more than 50-60 mbps depending on the make. Only SCSI drives meant for use usually in servers (10k rpm n above) are capable of transfer rates in the range of 70-110 mpbs. And they are damn expensive and require compatible hardware (RAID support). And buying such expensive hardware for home use doesn't make any sense.

Explain how imaging (via ghost) of a 120GB HD takes little over 2hrs then. And this is with IDE drives.lets say it got 100GB on it50GB/hror 13MB/s (>100Mbs !! ..ok so i dont have the exact figure, but this is from practical experience)now a ghost is a continous write. whole disk copied over. If you do the above i find PCI 100 is as close to 100Mbit/s as can be.

OK, OK.....my bad......i meant 100 M"B"ps, not mbps....What i was trying to say is that suppose ur in sweden and have a 1Gbps connection which'll give u 125 MB/ps downloads ideally. Now like if ur case if ur HDD doesn't support a transfer rate of more than 13 MB/ps, wt's the point of having such a fast connection. So those guys shouldn't get ahead of themselves and atleast wait for suitable hardware to become commonly available for home users.

Oh Sure, i agree with that...if we are talking 1Gb/s (thought u mentioned earlier 10Mbit)... The HD is the bottleneck and will only write as fast as it can. Total overkill.If you have 1Gb/s servers to hit then fine, otherwise quite pointless.