Vodafone/Airtel are still not supporting Aadhaar Virtual ID for eKYC

• Thread starter Thread starter superman171
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 1,970
Agencies using Aadhaar for authentication are supposed to mandatorily switch to give VID option to their customers but when today I went to one Airtel and one Vodafone store, neither of them had any idea about it. They said there is no such information from "above" about anything such starting from June 1 (EDIT: its JULY 1 as given in an UIDAI office circular (link given below), so i guess its okay that the Store guys know nothing about it yet in endings of this May) and that their application accepts only 12 digit number.
UIDAI Adds Another Security Level VID For Aadhaar, Sets June As Deadline For Full Rollout
UIDAI launches virtual identification number feature allowing users to generate a VID to safeguard their Aadhaar numbers- Technology News, Firstpost
Source

Last edited:
are vid available to general public? i do remember seeing some tweets from the people who are involved in the project.
i assume maadhaar app should have an option now? the tweets i saw required one to send an sms to get a virtual id.

also, did they really made it mandatory for businesses to use vid? i thought it was only going to be an option?

yes, anyone can now generate and use vid where virtual/online authentication is required. you can use it even for their own third-party agencies (through their own, UIDAI portal) who update your data on your requests, you give them vid instead and they would not know your aadhaar for which they are updating your data but it will get updated correctly.

does it work on online apps and web services? on platforms that verify aadhaar properly?

UIDAI said AUA/KUA need to give both options from June 1 (EDIT: its JULY 1) to customers, Aadhaar and VID. All Local live authentication agencies need to have both options. But there is no news about it for now.

Last edited:
i guess it became pointless when supreme court postponed (almost) all deadlines related to aadhaar linking.
right now, only a few things require aadhaar. though most of them would probably not work with VID which is a shame.
if they had VID from the very beginning, i would probably have gotten myself the aadhaar number.
now i just hope it becomes a mandatory requirement by the time supreme court comes out with their ruling and i am forced to get it.

This could have been a thread only starting June 1 (EDIT: its JULY 1). Till then Vodafone, Airtel, etc are free to not implement it. I just said...that they don't have any clue about it being implemented from June 1 (EDIT: its JULY 1)....they also didn't say that I was wrong, their would be no such implementation in such telecom companies, just in case I am wrong to have understood its implementation.

Last edited:
lol. employees of these stores are annoying. for the last six months i have been dealing with them getting a shock whenever i tell them that i still do not have aadhaar and i need my request processed without it.
everytime they would ask me why sarr... it is mandatory... how are you managing... and every time i tell them, it is still being decided by supreme court. all deadlines would continue to remain extended till sc comes out with a ruling. and when the ruling comes, i would apply the next day.
of course, they would have no idea about VID support. UIDAI came out with VID as an excuse to save their own ass in supreme court. but they were so late that it does not really matter. if supreme court rules in favor of aadhaar, they might just discard it completely. remains to be seen.
i do not see anything changing in june. little is going to change till sc gives out its judgement. uidai is currently on life support hoping for a favorable judgement from sc.

in any case, it is likely that the change would take place at software end. do they ask for a copy of aadhaar? i assume once the software is updated on the tablets used at these stores, your VID would be processed just fine.

just remembered... aadhaar number is 12 digits. vid is 16. so it's not like you can just give vid in fields designed for aadhaar.

and as you mentioned in one of the edited posts... the problem with aadhaar linked sims is real. there have been cases where jio recycled a number but the aadhaar link was not disconnected. so the new owner had a connection that remained connected to the aadhaar of previous owner. it's kind of insane how badly this project is being managed.