Considering buying Spectra. Need some advice

@varkey - I moved to Kasturi Nagar during the last week of August and got the Spectra 500mbps connection as well. I can say Netflix works well and so does YouTube. But everything else is shit. Windows 10 ISO download straight from Microsoft website is slow and so is downloading things off my Google Drive. And oh.. games off Steam is fricking slow too. I've already paid for 6 months in advance. I guess I'll move back to ACT once I am done with the 6 months.

I don't understand most of the network related stuff that happens here, so I've got no opinions of mine about them 😛

@subhramani I get around 600Mbps (parallel transfers) using SmartFTP for Google Drive, I'm sure the web app should be reasonably fast as well, might want to call support and report this to them.

@subhramani Yep, I get good speeds as well. Over the last couple of weeks, its been really stable with almost nil downtime.

One thing I have noticed, when you get IP ranges allotted from some subnets, the performance sucks. I don't recall the exact subnet, but when that happens, I just change the MAC address of the router (this involves registering it as a new CPE, the process described by @kevinkeller above) to get an IP address from a different range which usually resolves it for me.

I had to move to a new house in the same area, so I asked for shifting the connection to my new place. Initially there was a delay from my side in submitting the new address proof but they repeatedly followed up. After the documentation was done, on the 3rd day (there was a weekend in between too), the cabling person visited to know the exact location. He said there are no splitters in the area, so he had to get the main cable to my building and installed a weird looking splitter device.

This time they used pre-made cables, so there was no splicing necessary. I would say they did a great job in getting the installation done and also ensured the wiring was done cleanly as much as possible.

For shifting, an engineer visit is not applicable, so I just connected the ONT and router devices. They then had to make some other changes on their backend as I was now connected to a different OLT perhaps? Anyway once the backend change was done, internet started working and its all good!

Overall, I found the shifting experience pretty straight forward, and there was less than 30-60 min of downtime as the internet continued to work at my previous place until I had to disconnect the router/ONT (yeah I left it running at the old place as my housemates had not got a new connection yet)

They said there would be a shifting charge of Rs 500 + tax, but I don't see it yet in the portal, perhaps they'd add it later.

Sorry, I might take some time to type out all my issues on both wired and wireless connections. Before that, let me ask you this...

...why do they perform speed tests ONLY on a Spectra server? They either choose a Spectra server on speedtest.net or check the speed on fiber.spectra.co which again belongs to them and exists in Delhi. Either way, the speed tests on ANY other server is absolutely horrible and is almost half of what I am supposed to get (on a desktop with a gigabit NIC).

I questioned them about this when they had come home to address my issue and they had no answer. They just say that's what they do and I should not be testing speeds on any other server.

The point is, why the heck should I test on a Spectra server when everything that I upload/download off the internet comes from outside of Spectra servers? I find it very weird.

The speedtest is to check if everything from their server to your home is working properly. That's the TRAI definition of speed too. It is not right because everyone gives high speed to local servers. Some ISPs should start advertising how they provide good unpeered speed, but then people will misunderstand I guess. Don't expect 100% speed to foreign servers though, backend provider doesn't give that much. 30-50% of max speed and low pings is usual.

My experience with 1 month usage of Spectra in my area.

0) Installation was done pretty quick and done through internal cabling . They seem to have a tie up with Sterilte for cabling in some places .

1) Max Speed I get for a 100 Mbps connection is around 95 mpbs . Usually it's around the range of 85 - 93 Mbps . Not a big deal breaker for me but just FYI.

2) Coming to actual service: LOOKS LIKE THEY HAVE INFRASTRUCTURE ISSUE in blore . Seems they are not able to handle peek bandwidth loads and then they start throttling . Outages or low speeds are an event almost every week & spectra is not very dependable at the moment. Almost half a dozen complaints raised during this period . I am in half a mind to switch over to an alternate .

How about site blocks? Torrent and file sharing sites that are accessible on other operators?

do keep us updated on what you notice with time. if they are hijacking dns queries, blocking websites that are not exactly directed to be blocked by the dot and so on.

they call me regularly now. keep on talking about how i should just give them a try. and every single time i tell them that i am happy with purely unlimited 50mbps on excitel for less than 1000 rupees. the guy shuts up and cuts the call. quite annoying.

Unfortunately I got a 6 month plan .Any proper redrassal mechanisms to get the connection closed and get a refund?

From what I was told... Only security deposit would be refunded ?

This is the reason why I am not going for it. Would have tried them for a month if they had an unlimited plan.