Considering buying Spectra. Need some advice

Absinthe

May 30, 2018
^^ Glad to know you've subscribed to Spectra :)

Yeah you'll need a VPN/Seedbox, torrents are throttled to 2-20Mbps, either that or you'll have to stick with usenet.

Also, what was that about a built-in torrent client, didn't come across it :S don't suppose you could give me some info about it ?

BTW, as of this time, since noon it seems like sites outside India are being badly routed again :/ @varkey

Last edited:

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
@kevinkeller You could achieve Gigabit speeds over the normal Cat 5e cable as well, you don't necessarily need Cat6.

Yep, the ONT is setup in bridge mode. If you attach the ONT directly to your PC (and also assign a secondary IP address in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet), you might be able to access to the web UI at http://192.168.1.1. I haven't tried it, but I think that would work in case you want to take a peek.

I don't do torrents much, but although initially it felt throttled at 30 Mbps or so, nowadays whenever I needed to download something from well seeded private trackers, it has worked great. I get around 150-175 Mbps.

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
@Absinthe - Interesting, yeah I have been noticing some sluggishness today on certain sites, although didn't really investigate yet. Perhaps it might be as you say.

kevinkeller

Sep 5, 2018
@Absinthe good to have confirmation about torrents.

The torrent client feature is found under the USB section. It's a Transmission torrent client which runs off the router, so that you don't have to keep your PC running. It needs a USB drive attached to store the files. I can't take screenshots right now, but here is the manual for the router. It is a bit dated, but the features are similar: Source
(go to page 227).

Yeah, I noticed the routing issues too.

@varkey thanks for the info.

I saw the listing for AmazonBasics Cat6 cable (link) where it says speed is 1000 Mbps. Didn't think too much about it. I should have checked Cat5E as well :). Cables haven't arrived anyway, I'll get Cat5E itself.

Reactions: varkey

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
The routing is a mess right now, and many sites aren't opening or its really slow. I have opened a ticket, they said they'll get it fixed soon.

For instance www.amazon.in gets routed via London, Paris to be returned back to India! :eek::rolleyes:

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
So apparently the above issue is something that is going on all over India (from what the CC rep informed me) and they are working on a fix. Just now got an SMS as well stating that the issue would be resolved by 11 PM.

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
^ That's not how mine looks. Could you please show a pic of the actual router?

Absinthe

May 30, 2018
Didn't take the pic myself, but it looks exactly like this :

If it helps, additional information behind the router :
Code:
P/N : OIR825IIN....G1E
H/W : G1     
F/W : 7.00

Last edited:

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
@Absinthe You seem to be on a different firmware, you could try updating to the firmware from the dlink.ru site. The UI has completely changed.