We are the new entrant to ISP Business - What can make us the best? Boltfi.com

BoltFi

[OP]
May 6, 2018
Hello BBF,

I am glad to join this forum, I have been following this forum since long time but registered today - I ate up my lazyness today. :)

I was pretty much surprised to find balajik in here. I know him from one of the site that I don't want to mention :)

We are running a pretty successful seedbox business named Ultraseedbox, and we want to try our hands on other business aspects of network, servers and other things. So, we all came up with the plan to offer one of the cheapest Internet services in the location available - we are adding quiet a capacity on our ring from the transits like TATA and Vodafone and we are adding 50GE port from exchange Extreme-IX. We want to provide FTTH on XG-PON network and we will have great deal of redundancy with the access of 4 POP's in each location we will be providing Internet services with.

You guys can bring us to your location as well - We are laying fibers in Noida Extension and Some parts of Noida Sectors like 70-80 and 100-125. We might lay fibers in few location of Greater noida - Worth the mention that we are still in the planning phase.

We will only be providing single plan - 1Gbps Unmetered bandwidth for Rs. 899 when paying for long term otherwise Rs.999 when paying monthly. There will be no installation fees but there will be security deposit of Rs.2500 for a Huawei device that will support wifi as well as FTTH.

Reactions: AgentX and ShanksZ

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
i suppose the most popular feature that people benefit from is peering with popular content services like netflix, amazon prime video, hotstar, youtube and frequently accessed services on google, apple etc. not many isps are doing torrent mirroring for legal purposes but that also helps a lot of people.

Reactions: BoltFi

BoltFi

[OP]
May 6, 2018
Thank you @Sushubh for your input. This is the only reason we are adding exchanges like Extreme-IX and Mumbai-IX. Extreme-IX peering CDN's list are here: Content Providers - Extreme IX - We have Limelight for Sony PS, Fastly for Reddit, Microsoft for Xbox and Azure, Amazon for AWS and Prime, Netflix, Facebook for social media like whatsapp and all and others. I think we are mostly covered. For torrenting we are planning on adding them: Extreme Peering | The ultimate Internet acceleration!

Lastly, should be fear JioFiber as I am reading - their launch is around the corner and how are the prices sounds for our service?

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
tbh. jiofiber is unlikely to be cheap. not as cheap as you are aiming to be. sure their mobile data plans are quite cheap. but offering 1gbps unlimited data on fiber for under 1000 bucks? not going to happen. my only worry about jio is that they would end up acquiring smaller players who are offering cheaper services around the country. it is unlikely that they would kill them through cheaper pricing.

BoltFi

[OP]
May 6, 2018
I am not sure how attractive is 1Gbps figure to the customers, but I think that Jio is going to launch 100Mbps 1TB data for 500 Bucks and we are thinking of offering something same. We cannot match this pricing honesty, we can offer 100Mbps Unlimited for 550 bucks if we continue to grow the capacity with our transits.

We are running the survey in noida location, and there seems to be the good demand of it. We already have received 500 orders in a week, still counting. :)

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
that's the thing. do not compromise just to compete with jio. focus on quality of service and customer support. it's pointless to target the market which would try to save 100-200 bucks to get slower speeds with limited data. they are never going to appreciate the good things you might be trying to offer over jio. we all know what happened to the mobile market with jio. quality of services become irrelevant as all operators tried to compete with jio on pricing. dropped call or lack of signal has become a norm.

Aakash Malhotra

Regulars
Aug 13, 2013
new delhi
1st of all good luck for your business endeavour.

just a few pointers from my side -

dont buy bandwidth from tata. they s u c k balls. get it from airtel . airtel has the best routing to international servers.

you will find a ton of users here who are on local isp that get bandwidth from airtel and tata and the end consumer always prefers to be on airtel routing because of better pings and speeds to international servers.

i use excitel in delhi apart from high speed and no fup it S u c ks.

here is what you can do to make sure you dont fall amongst the likes of excitel

1) keep your network open. i do not have much knowledge about this so cant comment but excitel is very restrictive. they dont give the option to user to open ports. resulting in poor video gaming experience. poor seeding on torrents. poor speeds on 0 day torrents even when there are like 100+ seeders. excitel just fails to connect to other party.
you should give consumer an option to get static ip if need be.

2) get bandwidth from airtel - as said above for better pings and speeds to international servers. excitel has okay local speeds but when it comes to international servers it is horse s h i t. i have so called 75 Mbps plan but i get video bufferings most of the time when i am watching something that is not on youtube.

3) make sure your network is packet loss free. excitel is riddled with packet loss. their technicians are incapable of fixing it. they dont even ackowledge the issue despite 100 of complaints about the same on their fb page. deploy technicians who knows what packet loss is, how to rectify it and how to fix it. these days bandwidth is cheap . so local isps like excitel they just focus on giving speeds for low price. for an avg joe who browse only youtube and google , it gets the job done for them .

4) you are offering 1Gbps. make sure that you are actually delivering it. speed should be upward 850+ Mbps to your isp node. spectra offers 1Gbps but their speeds cannot be termed as gigabit speeds. they are more like 500 - 600 Mbps speeds.

excitel has added a ton of users these past few years . their main focus is just to grow and earn money . they dont give a sh it about their network. network quality is pathetic.

i can only think of these points as these issues are what i am facing with excitel . maybe others can pitch in their ideas.
a good customer support is also an essential. people deployed who actually knows how to do S H I T and not restart router replug cable bull sh i t .
you can focus this on later stages when you become successful .

also your website is not registered or something. nothing comes up when i open it.

achaudhary997

Regulars
Apr 15, 2018
My two cents.
The only advantage which jioFiber would have is IPv6 (that is if they use it). Other than that it won't be cheap for sure.
As aakash said above, even I would like an ISP which would keep the ports open. But then I am assuming it would be tough considering the problem of limited IPv4 addresses.
If possible try to get consistent speeds with international servers also (don't know if its possible but would be great).

Congrats on your new endeavor.

BoltFi

[OP]
May 6, 2018
Thank you @Aakash Malhotra and @achaudhary997 for your valuable feedback! I will keep everything in mind, It seems like offering 1Gbps is very tough job without limits. I think that there should be some kind of limits so that just one user cannot saturate the whole link and take the network down with him. I know it will happen alot and thinking that I should have the FUP of 500GB-1000GB atleast. What do you guys think about the FUP's? We are still going through alot of planning and we keep changing minds about things, sorry. :(

achaudhary997

Regulars
Apr 15, 2018
@BoltFi
Don't get me wrong but personally I don't like FUPs. Even if someone says they are offering 1-2TB of FUP @ 1 Gbps, I would rather go for some other 100mbps unlimited plan. But this is just my view on FUPs.
But since you said that you are aiming for a sub 1000 Rs Gigabit plans, I won't mind FUPs at all. :) If possible keep a unlimited plan also (even if it asks the customer to pay a higher amount).

If you have any other questions, keep 'em coming will try to answer as many as we can. At least you guys are taking into consideration customer opinions which is a great thing.

EDIT: Also what kind of post FUP speed are we talking about here? If its not extremely low (5-10 mbps) then I would say FUP of 500-1000GB is very much acceptable.

EDIT2: Also if possible rather than going for gigabit speeds, I suggest aim for low speeds (100-300mbps) with better latency to international servers. As of now with excitel anything which I do (browse or download) which is not under their peering agreement takes a huge hit in terms of speed (on a 100mbps plan I usually get 20-25) on international servers.

Peace

Last edited: