State of Online Shopping in India

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 1,887
A survey conducted by LocalCircles shows that 38% consumers out of 6,923 respondents have received a counterfeit product from an ecommerce site in the past one year. Among the leading ecommerce sites, consumers said they had received counterfeit products on Snapdeal at 12%, while 11% said Amazon and 6% cited Flipkart, the survey showed.

too small sample size. plus did they take into account shopclues? that site is the online equivalent of chor bazaar

in any case, localcircles seems like a portal that would be used by people (?) that would be going for the most bullshit deals available on these stores 😛

Being a seller on few of the biggest marketplaces I can very much confirm what the article says about fakes. The proxy companies of Amazon, Flipkart themselves sell loads of fakes in the name of discounts.

I myself have stopped buying any branded items from Amazon,Flipkart,Myntra,Jabong,Snapdeal and likes😉likes. They have absolutely no control over what is being sold. I stick with Tata CLiQ for most of stuff as I know how good their seller policies are, followed by Infibeam for books. Rest are purchased from small niche stores. This fakes will keep on coming until Indians go out of the discount mentality. Quality comes at a price.

Being a seller on few of the biggest marketplaces I can very much confirm what the article says about fakes. The proxy companies of Amazon, Flipkart themselves sell loads of fakes in the name of discounts.

I myself have stopped buying any branded items from Amazon,Flipkart,Myntra,Jabong,Snapdeal and likes😉likes. They have absolutely no control over what is being sold. I stick with Tata CLiQ for most of stuff as I know how good their seller policies are, followed by Infibeam for books. Rest are purchased from small niche stores. This fakes will keep on coming until Indians go out of the discount mentality. Quality comes at a price.
which products do you sell, If I may ask so

I buy all fashion related things from myntra since they're the only one I feel who stocks authentic products but reading your comment above is worrying. I recently bought red tape shoes on Paytm from "redtape authorised seller" but they felt uncomfortable and frankly, fake, so I returned them. I feel hesitant buying 50rs stuff on paytm whereas my friends are happily ordering Apple products without a care 🙂

Business Card Cases, Coin/Pen Drive Pouches, Tie-Holders, Tissue Paper Holders,Toiletry Bags, Pen/Pencil Storage Cases, Jewellery Storage Cases, Wallets, Travel Slings, Passport Holders, Watch Storage Cases, iPad-MacBook-Kindle Sleeves, Mousepads, Bags/Backpacks etc. Niche offerings which are painstakingly handmade using finest possible leather/Canvas/Denim/Khadi and other materials. Also Gourmet/FMCG products like Honey/Pickles.

Used to do apparels. Temporarily stopped to pivot into a tailor made private label offering. Just can't survive ethically in this era of biggies buying dead stock from offline retailers, changing MRP stickers and selling with fake discount. I have seen the big guys doing this personally. Besides my close relatives who were on the top management of India's top fashion retailer say the same.

The problem is that anyone with GST+Current Account can register on Amazon,Flipkart,Snapdeal, Paytm etc and start selling within few hours. Myntra,Jabong is sort of invite only platforms these days. But they have similar mentality. Otherwise how can one give 50-80% discounts every day?.

Tata CLiQ takes weeks to approve account. Agreements on stamp paper and all required. While they give discounts, its not sky high like others. They don't allow every tom,dick and harry to sell. Only brand verified & background verified merchants. Besides they have store pickup/return option.

I also actively search for friendly small brands who sell on their own sites and buy. Way better customer experience and gives the feeling that I am buying from some boutique store.