Status
Not open for further replies.

~Hami~

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
Prasar Bharati may lose Commonwealth Games
New Delhi December 26, 2007

With only about 30 months to go for the 2010 Commonwealth Games, scheduled to be hosted in the capital, public broadcaster Prasar Bharati may stand to lose its right as the global broadcaster of the event in the absence of any budgetary support in the Eleventh Plan allocation (2007-12). Prasar Bharati has to telecast the Commonwealth Games in both digital and high-definition television (HDTV) formats else it will cease to be the global broadcaster. For that, it requires an estimated investment of Rs 9,431 crore in the next three years. As against this demand, the Planning Commission has proposed only Rs 5,439 crore as gross budgetary support in the Eleventh Plan period, a 4.2 per cent higher budgetary allocation in comparison to Tenth Plan period (2002-07). This, according to experts, will not be able to meet Prasar Bharati’s requirement of converting its infrastructure from the current analog transmission to digital and HDTV formats. Both digital and HDTV format require huge capital investments. But no specific budgetary allocation in the Eleventh plan has raised questions on Prasar Bharati’s capabilities of covering the Commonwealth Games in digital and HDTV format. Digital technology enables transmission of information through lesser bandwidth as compared with the analog mode, while the HDTV format is a global format adopted by several developed countries as it enables 16 times better picture and sound quality in comparison to the normal television broadcast. Even the Planning Commission sub-group, in its recommendations submitted earlier this year, had suggested additional fund requirements for Prasar Bharati for telecasting the Commonwealth Games in HDTV format. According to the recommendations of the sub-group that was headed by Rajeeva Ratna Shah, member secretary, Planning Commission, Prasar Bharati has outlined requirement of capital investment of Rs 3,531 crore for Doordarshan during 2007-15, while All India Radio (AIR) will require investments of Rs 5,900 crore over the next 10 years. The sub-group has recommended to make transmission digital in Delhi by 2010. This is to be followed by other metros by 2011 and the rest of the country by 2013. But the Eleventh Plan document is silent on the roadmap of turning Prasar Bharati digital. “Turning digital could lead to a big annual savings for Prasar Bharati. Post-digitisation, five to seven DD channels can be hosted on a transponder as opposed to one or two now,” an industry source said. Digitisation will also help reduce the cost of setting up TV transmitters.

Source: Prasar Bharati may lose Commonwealth Games

Come-on DD wakeup. All public broadcasters like BBC/ITV/CH4 (UK), CCTV (China), CH9 (AUS) and even Pvt broadcasters like SKY, FOX, History, NGC are going digital & HD. When will DD follow them???

As each day passes by more economic bad news crops up.There was an article on TOI about the games facing crash crunch.UK is on the verge of depression so i even doubt that Olympics could be held over there.so what's your view?I say NO as you have seen nothing yet.

true, the economy is gettin worse but i dont see cancelling of Commonwealth games. atleast I hope not..

:hysterical: I wonder what their definition of HD is. DD's picture quality is reminiscent of the pre-independence era. I doubt they would know what goes into HD.

There is always a good fallout with such events:Custom duty, taxes etc for everything connected with HD will be waived and many booster and support policies will be announced>

:hysterical: Forget WiFi, if they are able to complete the stadium and other basic infrastructure on time, that in itself would be a huge accomplishment.

roads, Hotels, infrastructure. 😀 but wi-fi is an important aspect as well. tons of journalists would be here for the event. they need internet connectivity!

They can always go to the internet cafe and pay 20 bucks for a super fast 128 kbps browsing experience :thumbsup: :hysterical:

i bet that there will be no commonwealth next year.The combination of swine flu and economic crises will lead to cancellation .

well i hope it does not happen. and if it does, it is a massive failure. indian olympic association needs a kick in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.