How To Share User Logs Between Pidgin Windows & Ubuntu??

• Thread starter Thread starter sneezymelon
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 17,864

sneezymelon

NetZombie
ISP
MTNL
well? (For the last time, I..DO..NOT..WANT..TO..MESS..WITH..SYMLINKS)is there any other way??(My 1000th post! Wooheee :yahoo: )P.S: Seems like Pidgin Developers do not wanna help at all :madness:

Symlinking would be easier and best way to share profile . Ntfs-3g windows drive and symlink .pidgin ( or .purple i am not sure ) from c:\documents and settings\username\Application Data to ur home directory . Any specific reason u dont want to go symlinking ? Other way would be to google for pidgin portable , since it open source i am sure someone would have come up with portable version by now . It will be platform based buy u can figure some way out to share profile .

^^Dude OS portability? Not heard of it till now. Possible within Linux distros, but not Windows to Linux. And i haven't seen a portable app for Linux.

See the pidgin documentation , you can make pidgin portable for windows . For linux , use wine to execute it . That would be most pathetic way to run pidgin in linux but i see that as only solution if he doesnt want to symlink anything 😛 . Its hard to make a portable linux program because of all dependencies and libraries . Another stupid solution is to run a bash script at startup and shutdown of Ubuntu to copy .purple folder from windows to ubuntu home and overwrite it back during shutdown . Symlinking is best solution , i just tried it and worked .rm -fr ~/.purple ln -s /c/Documents\ and\ Settings/username/Application\ Data/.purple/ ~/.purple

Assuming your windows / shared partition is automounted during bootup, why not put your pidgin profile itself there? That way you dont have to symlink it, although that is the most elegant solution. Another in-elegant is to keep backiing up the "logs" folder in the ~/.pidgin folder to your windows pidgin's location periodically using rsync or something(never tried it, never would)

Assuming your windows / shared partition is automounted during bootup, why not put your pidgin profile itself there?

how do I do that?

P.S: Seems like Pidgin Developers do not wanna help at all :madness:

where did you post/ask? i didn't see any posts on the devel or support mailing lists? did you post on some online forum? try the mailing list if you didnt already...

lets say ur windows pidgin profile is in /mnt/c/pidgin

and on linux its mounted then run pidgin as
pidgin -c /mnt/c/pidgin

thats all

OR

create new file /usr/bin/mypidgin and in that write
exec /usr/bin/pidgin -c /mnt/c/pidgin $@

so on linux run mypidgin instead of just pidgin

-----

Finally I read pigin wiki and found easy way out. Looks like u didnt read pidgin wiki

Pidgin - Trac

So all u need to do is set PURPLEHOME env in linux .bashrc

ah! Looks like I missed the line "This can be overridden by setting the PURPLEHOME environment variable."thanks a bunch amish! 😀

OT: just noticed: Many Happy Returns Of The Day @ sneezy

oh, ok, will search and post there too....