Sify Broadband new plans for Delhi NCR

• Thread starter Thread starter sachin214
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 13,816
No I have already migrated to airtel about a week back ,but my next door neighbours and many others in the society do have it ,actually he has installed wi fi set up on the top of the building and from there its cat5 cables to individual houses as usual .only the wires and switches B/W the cable operator's shop to my building and other such buildings in the area are gone.I cant divulge any further details as ,most of my friends in the building have already migrated to airtel barring a few stupid ones .He is left with just 5 to 6 connections in the building from 50 to 60 connections before in just two weeks time and he is so frustated that he has started abusing his previous customers like me .

Are you sure it's not the wireless routers that CTOs use to receive signals from the Sify base-stations that your CTO has installed on the roof of your building? In that case it won't be wi-fi. I am thinking so because Sify already uses a wireless technology called point-to-multipoint to connect to the various CTOs. Also wi-fi has a maximum range of about only 100 m. without repeater antennae inbetween. And the Govt. of India has allowed wi-fi technology to be used within closed-door premises without any license fees but to implement it in open spaces license fees need to paid. Anyway Sify and its CTOs are trying to show that they are improving their last mile connectivity by using various technologies like optic-fibres (which someone said might actually be co-axial cables being passed off as optic-fibres :blink: ) and now wireless. Let's see how far they go and what improvements in their uptime is brought about.

To be true ,I have never seen a wireless router or a wi fi instrument so i cant distinguish b/w them ,if anybody can give me any clue how to recognise them, then i can check out at my roof top to find out the real stuff there .Right now I can only believe whatever the CTO says (he says its WI FI).But I dont think that its the same wireless router which they use to recieve signals from sify,as my CTO knows very well that my society managment is very strong and clever and therefore will fear that they can bypass him and make direct contact with sify to supply BB in the building(Our society has already tried to do so in the past and sify was more then willing to bypass its CTO but some how it didnt workout then)

It is not wifi, just wireless. Your CTO just says wiFi cos he knows jack about the whole thing.

Originally posted by kingkrool@Aug 7 2005, 10:40 PM
It is not wifi, just wireless. Your CTO just says wiFi cos he knows jack about the whole thing.
[snapback]20316[/snapback]
[/quote]
Exactly!!!