DataoneBroadband speed 256kbps, is it justified???

• Thread starter Thread starter saivstech
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 5,842

saivstech

ISP
BSNL DataOne HomePlan 900UL
hello all,

I have a 256kbps broadband line for my home. I'm actually trying to understand the difference of download/upload speed.

I use Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) program for downloading files over internet. So, now whenever I download any file from the internet, the DAP starts downloading but the max speed limit is between 30-35kbps. So I tried downloading without DAP, using the OperatingSystem own downloading method by right clicking " SAVE TARGET AS", there also it shows download speed as 30kbps max download speed.

Now the point I like to raise is, when my broadband connection is 256kbps, then why is that my speed limit is limited to 30-35kbps for downloading?? Are there any settings that I need to tune or am i missing out something??

I should atleast be getting a minimum of 200kbps taking into consideration mitigating factors such as electric interference, last distance mile from exchange to CustomerPremise, etc.

I'm paying Rs.1000/-approx for this connection every month, which is HomePlan 900UL.

I tried to test my bandwidth speed from www.dataone.in --> check download speeed. The results are as below:

BSNL BROADBAND SPEED TESTER
Your IP Address: 59.93.87.70
Your Current Bandwidth Reading: 112.30kbps
(Download Rate at 14.04 KB/sec)

I wonder whom to contact in the BSNL Dataone dept and point out this discrepancy. Or is there anyway I can escalate this issue to the higher officials in the department?

Most of the time I encounter lethargic, non technical people throwing around their weight in the departments. They behave as if they are doing us a favour, and a lot of bureaucracy standards from top to bottom.

Anyways this is not about comp[laining against the dept as such but for the service rendered to me/us.

you are getting speed of 30-35 kBps(not kbps).1 B (Byte) == 8 b (bit)s.your connection speed is 256 kbps (i.e. 32 kBps) so your max d/l speed is 32 kBps.

capital B stands for byteslowercase b stands for bitsbandwidth always mentioned in kbps i.e kilobits per seconddownload speed/transfer rate is measured in kBps i.e kilobytes per second1 kilobyte = 8 kilobitnever get biased with bandwidth and download speed

Kbps==Kilobits per secondKBps==Kilobytes per second 256 Kbps===30-35 KBps512 Kbps===50-60 KBps1 Mbps===120-130 KBps I think you can calculate it now

Hello all, Thanks for all your prompt responses. I really appreciate one and all for their time, energy & patience. So I basically am getting whatever bandwidth i'm allotted without much ado. Am I right?? Once the forum confirms the above line then I got some more clarifications to be made. 😉 I also would like to know what upload speed would I be needing for VoIP calls? Thanx once again.

^ you will be getting about 48 kbps - 64 kbps upload speed & it should
be enough for VoIP calls . many use VoIP with Dataone Home 900UL .

Edit : corrected mistake . unlimited dataone has downloading speed of
256 kbps and uploading speed of 64 kbps [upload speeds -> 48 - 64 kbps]

^ you will be getting about 48 KBps - 64 KBps upload speed & it should
be enough for VoIP calls . many use VoIP with Dataone Home 900UL .
But when i'm using the VoIP, then my browsing doesnt seem to be working. So its like I can use either one of them at any point of time. Sometimes, it works (VoIP and Internet browsing) but mostly I dont have a choice. I'm using Vonage VoIP and
"Vonage recommends an upload speed of 90kbps or greater. An upload speed less than 90kbps could affect the quality of your calls."

So I was wondering if that is causing this issue wherein i'm not able to use VoIP and Internet surfing/browsing both simultaneously?

if vonage recommends for a minimum of 90 kbps then it
would be better to shift to Dataone 500 home plan .
its downloading speed is from 256 kbps to 2 mbps and
you can expect better uploading speeds .

simultaneous use of surfing and VoIP is not recommended .

Is it true from ur earlier post that upload speed is better in Home 500 plans?? Does that mean that Home Plan UL900 doesnt have better upload speeds? Why this disparity when i'm paying more??? Please be explicit. Just for information, why is it not recommended for simultaneous use? My family in the usa use it simultaneously, hence this clarification.

other members can correct this if required -->

BSNL uses ADSL type of broadband connection . Here
download speed is approximately 4 times to upload speed .
so if download has a better speeds then it can reflect on
upload speeds also .

the internet connection at India is quite different to the US .
you are already experiencing that simultaneous use of VoIP
and surfing/browsing is affecting the quality of VoIP .

But when i'm using the VoIP, then my browsing doesnt seem to be working. So its like I can use either one of them at any point of time. Sometimes, it works (VoIP and Internet browsing) but mostly I dont have a choice. I'm using Vonage VoIP and
"Vonage recommends an upload speed of 90kbps or greater. An upload speed less than 90kbps could affect the quality of your calls."

Upload speeds on BSNL suck particularly on the 24x7 unltd plan where its supposed to be 64kbps with such a low upload rate u are bound to have problems if u use high end codecs like g.711, which require around 85-90 kbps..ask vonage support if u can change the codec to g.729,g.723 etc. these codecs work well in low bandwidth situations

Well, I think you get what you pay for-

Here is my Home 1800 speed test:

Here is my other line with Home UL 900:

Use sites like speedtest.net to measure ur speed.

@ frmneo ( [post=143876]view post #12[/post] )

I hope that your experience proves my views as wrong 🙂 . However , only
a few have said that they are getting better upload speeds thru Dataone .