Possible to use the SIP/Voip from voice on FTTH with Freepbx or something similar?

ISP
BSNL
Hi,
I was thinking abut the voice setup with FTTH on BSNL.
They use SIP and voip connections on the ONT to setup voice.

Is it possible to make the connection from a server (freepbx or similar softphone for SIP account) and take the voice calling to be totally digital in LAN?

If anyone has any experience or suggestions on this that would be really helpful.

thanks

I am looking for the same settings. Please share if you find them 🙂

Me too looking for the same info,
AFAIK there is an option in ONT to set the VOIP Connection to bridge mode which will enable us to dial it manually.
Also, the SIP settings can be found under Application tab-> VOIP.
But there is a catch, SIP registration IP address is in the range of 192.168.xxx.xxx which makes it impossible to connect to this IP inside the NATed LAN. If anyone has any idea please tell me.
hQQAjhI.png

Me too looking for the same info,
AFAIK there is an option in ONT to set the VOIP Connection to bridge mode which will enable us to dial it manually.
Also, the SIP settings can be found under Application tab-> VOIP.
But there is a catch, SIP registration IP address is in the range of 192.168.xxx.xxx which makes it impossible to connect to this IP inside the NATed LAN. If anyone has any idea please tell me.

So I was thinking of the same thing the other day, and I think it's feasible. You would just need to add a custom route on your router to use the voice bridged interface to reach 192.168.149.0/24 or something.

On those Netlink ONT devices, you can bind a port for each WAN connection. So internet WAN connection should be bound to say LAN 1 and voice WAN connection should be bound to say LAN 2. You'd also a need a router with multiple WAN ports or configurable WAN ports like a OpenWRT device for example.

Then on your main router, the voice interface can be configured with static IP and also add a custom route for the SIP registration address. After this we ideally should be able to use any SIP application to make calls.

This of course would need the MAC address binding to be reset, but certainly is a great idea.

I actually got this working partially. Luckily the VOIP connection is not MAC bound, so I was able to just bridge the 1830 voice VLAN. Also the ONT leaves it VLAN tagged as well, so all I did was enabled tagged mode for that port for VLAN ID 1830 on my OpenWRT router. I didn't even need to use two cables. I then created a new interface in OpenWRT and used the 1830 VLAN tagged interface eth0.1830.

sR9ipiw.png

The internet connection is in router mode as BSNL has MAC bound it and I can't get it working without BSNL resetting the binding.

Anyway, then I added a static route to the 192.168.x.x SIP server IP address to use the VOIP WAN interface, enabled NAT for that interface. That's it.

I downloaded a SIP client and configured it using the username/password, dialled my mobile number and it worked! 😀 But I couldn't hear anything, I'm think its the codec being used, will need some tweaking.

Last edited:
@varkey I had got to this point as well but faced same issues.
I think the issue is because there's no route from BSNL to the 2nd local lan network we are using and thus won't work.

I was able to put ONT in bridge mode and then connect it the lan port directly to a pc. Then if it's configured with same ip's on PC it works great but if there's routing involved with ip's then calls work but unable to receive any data back from BSNL.

There is no need for anything from BSNL right, cause once it reaches the main router, its upto our router on how the return traffic is routed. So if anything it would just need changes/tweaks on our router.

Are you saying that when connected to the PC directly, when in bridge mode, you were able to make and receive calls, but when it went through the router you couldn't? What were the symptoms when going through the router? It doesn't register with the SIP server at all?

Ok, so I figured it out. The issue is that, SIP doesn't work so well when behind NAT, that's the reason when there is NAT involved, it fails.

To fix that, I used something called siproxd which is installed on my OpenWRT router. This acts like a proxy and works around the NAT issues by modifying the SIP requests and stuff on the fly.

Now I am able to make and receive calls with any SIP client, in fact I am able to make calls from Bangalore through my BSNL VOIP connection in Kerala (I use Zerotier for the remote connectivity) 🕺

I'm using the X-Lite SIP client for my tests and below is a screenshot of my SIP settings

lVCiXfF.png

User Id - <BSNL number>
Domain - 192.168.149.78 (This is the BSNL SIP server IP address, although I've noticed that its common for most people)
Password - <Password provided by BSNL> (I'd really like to change these default passwords)

Now enable proxy and enter the IP address of your router where you have sipproxd installed.

Configuring siproxd is pretty straight forward -- Get a SIP phone to work with openwrt on a linksys WRT54GL

Although the current versions are easier to setup, this is my /etc/config/siproxd

config siproxd general
# Custom options allow using OpenWRT network names, and defaults should
# work out-of-the-box. If your SIP devices do not REGISTER externally,
# you may also need to open firewall ports: tcp/udp 5060, udp 7070-7089.
option interface_inbound zt
option interface_outbound wan2_voip

Inbound interface is the local network from where the registration request would be coming, for most of you it would be lan. Outbound interface is the name of your VOIP interface.

You also need to open the ports as mentioned above

3mg7X5s.png

That's it, everything works! 😀

@Rajneesh Rana That's great! 🎉

For me everything seem to work ok, although the dialing plan or something need to be tweaked I guess, cause if I prefix 91 to the mobile number, it doesn't work. And similarly some other combinations.