• Thread starter Thread starter Ryan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 2,676

Ryan

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
Well, good news for indians all around India. Being one of the first countries to try out gigabit broadband technology, expect speeds to sky rocket. Check out this link.

Now we'll know true broadband, hopefully in a couple months time.

Indian firms are not willing to offer megabit speeds and you're talking about gigabit? And who will be the first one to offer it? bsnl? Don't think so. These guys are so scared of offering 256k unlimited, their gigabit plans would be something like 1gbit, 1GB, 250 Rs. It would take 8-10 seconds to use up you monthly quota. :lol:

Well, government owned ISPs won't start this off, but companies like reliance will. Hey it's a start man, and yes there is a company offering 256 kbps unlimited. Lets see how this turns out though.

if i get gigabit net access in this life ("is janam me") i will eat my own undies

can our "normal" comp cope with such speeds..i mean can our harddisk save (1/8) GB in one secondbcoz the transfer speed of my SATA is 150MB/s......

anyone insane enough to be getting himself a 1gbps connection would know his hardware.

Well most computers nowadays can handle gigabit technology, even routers can. So I don't think that will be that big of a deal, the only thing is, it's going to be commericialized, and let's see when it comes to us residents 🙂.

man haven't u heard of a thing called ram and page fileif u have ram then the thing would just stay in ram and write to disk at the max speed it canso if u have excess ram u can manage with these speedsi have 1 gb so i think i shouldn't have any problem with my 100Mbits/sec transfer rate of my drives

well you can save to disk, listen to music, watch hi-def por...err... TV at the same time.. not all 1gbps needs to go to disk 😎maybe by then we'll have solid-state 100GB drives...but then 100GB... at 1gbps.. fills up in what? less then 15 min?

last night i googled a lot a came across large no of news reports ,which talk of this 1 Gbps stuff.Actually its the over ambitious reliance which have started thinking for this Gigabit thing,It has been labelled as" The mother of all broadband plans" and with in an year they are planing to launch BB using a mix of many technologies ,and most importantly they want to use optic fibre to deliver the last mile connectivity to the consumer .The BB will have capacities from 100 mbps to 1 gbps.The opitimist say that the reliance is capable of delivering what they are dreaming of as they do have the infrastructure to deliver the expensive "last mile connectivity "on there own,unlike other ISPs who want to use exesting bsnl and mtnl's Landline network to deliver LMC using dsl technology and thus pressuring TRAI to force mtnl and bsnl to unbundle LMC while reliance is not interusted in this unbundling thing as they dont want to use copper wires for LMC ,saying that using two different technology i.e using optic fibre for major part and dsl for LMC wud be waste of BB cababilities which optic cable is capable of.