Broadband must for IPTV?

• Thread starter Thread starter proteus
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 5,460

proteus

ISP
TATA
Do I have to really take MTNL Triband connection to use their IPTV service? I have TATA Indicom already; can they just provide IPTV without the internet connection?

no u need MTNL tel line, on that triband connection and then u get IPTV

nope mtnl bb is a must for iptv.if you are from delhi remember that your triband surfing speed will be capped at 256Kbps whereas u are entitled to 2Mbps.

Thanks for the reply! I was hoping that since it is IPTV, they could still allow me to get it over any broadband connection and not just MTNL.Guess they save their bandwidth this way 😛

actually MTNL shud start pay-as-you-use plan. lets say i just want IPTV not triband, now just for IPTV, i have to buy triband and also pay 199Rs a month. and lets say i dont have MTNL phone. so add 150Rs extra a month for tel rent.so if i want MTNL IPTV and not tel or triband even then i end up paying300Rs - IPTV rent150Rs - tel rent199Rs - triband 75Rs ~ taxso overall TV bill - 725Rs a month!!hahaha wow!

i am getting a monthly bill of 2000 bucksanyway my dad's office pay's for it.iptv charges 80 rs stb rent199 subscription rent+12 % taxThey have'nt collected security deposit of 1000bucks from me yet.

Extracted from MTNL IPTV Service On Broadband, Powered by IOL

The main components in delivering this service (IPTV) are :
1. TV and Content Head End - Where the TV channels are received and encoded. Also other content (Video's) are stored at Head End. MTNL has signed agreement for this with M/s IOL Broadband.

2. Delivery network - Which is MTNL's Broadband network and MTNL's telephone line. (Landline).

3. Set Top Box (STB) - The Set Top Box is required at the customer location for converting the IP signal back to TV signal. The STB shall be connected between MTNL Broadband Modem and customer's TV. The STB shall be provided by M/s IOL.

4. MTNL Landline telephone with Broadband connectivity is required for this service.

nope mtnl bb is a must for iptv.
if you are from delhi remember that your triband surfing speed will be capped at 256Kbps whereas u are entitled to 2Mbps.

What is worse is that to enable IPTV at Mumbai, the MTNL geeks set the 'data rate' at 6128 kbps. This means the 'snr' (signal to noise ratio) drops to below 15. Thus you get 'pulsing' ADSL lamp, zero internet connectivity and the pain of making constant complaints of bad internet. Even the IPTV does not work continously and consistantly. So you end up paying out THOUSANDS in a few months and finally have to cancel your IPTV. I went thru all this and lost almost Rs. 5,000 over eight months, before I got wise. I have listed out my problems at this blog at some other
threads.

Now i am back with 'cable' at Rs. 350 per month and internet with decent speeds of 450/440 kbps and no daily telephoning 1504 or whatever. Its so nice now, like it was last year before I got involed in the IPTV experiment.

Best wishes.