Spectra now has 1gbps plans starting at Rs. 1061 (Rs. 1474 for unlimited data plan)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 82
  • Views Views 20,150
wtf???? 0.0

wow 1gbps unlimited in 1249+gst
That beats google fiber by a big margin.
it is cheaper than their 100Mbps plan which they are offering for 1349+gst in Delhi....

I guess this will be the new benchmark........ soon similar plans will be launched by excitel et al.... this is why excitel is going for customer end fiber.....

more or less initially there won't be any major change in usage...... but later with the addition of TV boxes and 4K streaming, usage will increase......

IMO they will monetize from content rather than the bandwidth......

But they are offering a very poorly rated router for the 2000Rs security.....

Last edited:
So what does make more sense. Spectra 1Gbps @1249 + 2000 security deposit + 1000 installation or Airtel 1099 (250 GB + 1000 GB bonus data). I need to use 200-300GB data per month.

I understand Spectra installation charges can be waived off if we pay three months advance and Rs.600 more discount if we pay six months advance.

Airtel is also giving 20% discount on annual and 15% discount on six months advance payment.

@mgdelhi, you really can't compare a 100Mbps plan to a 1Gbps plan, speed wise spectra is on whole other level, but i can't really comment on its service, you can definitely try spectra if available in your society.

In Delhi Spectra is selling 100Mbps for 1349+GST...... so the comparsion.

Even I have not really tried Spectra but whatever I have heard.... before their recent name change from Spectranet to Spectra, it is as good as excitel or any other ISP...
Spectra has limited presence in Delhi, some areas in south delhi & flat/ socities at IP extension...

I highly doubt that they will rapidly expand their 1Gbps plan in Delhi and other places

in delhi they are in alaknanda, gk 1 gk2 east of kailash , malviya nagar. basically posh areas of south delhi and all these areas are eligible for their 1Gbps plan

No it isn't. But the oversubscription ratio on these 1Gbps plans is going to be very high because most users would be hard pressed to use more than one or two HD streams at once which is barely above 10-15Mbps and most direct downloads would be over by the time you hit the full 1Gbps if the connection to the servers is even that good.

So coupled with low average bandwidth usage and connections to servers being the limitation for downloads they probably just added a bit more to their upstream bandwidth, increased the oversubscription ration slightly and are just running with the chance that only 1 in like 40 users or something (pulling numbers from the air) will actually want to use the whole 1Gbps and will even notice.

Is bandwidth that cheap now. 1gig in 1500rs

Lol... Just a fake hoopla. People don't realise that most likely the 1Gbps advertised would be to the local servers in India and most of them are being taken care by Akamai which if i am not wrong, has a capping of 100mbps per user and most of the time it averages out b/w 50-80mbps during peak loads. What needs to be seen is that does it still give 1/4 of the advertised speed to the International servers.

Existing users have also been upgraded.

Someone in my society posted this on residents whatsapp group. Earlier plan was 100 Mbps.

Source

i mean it's obvious. you are not going to get 1gbps on non peered servers. majority of web services you access would not provide 1gbps dedicated bandwidth to individual users. speedtest results would not match the speeds on non-spectra servers. but the fact remains, it is still incredibly cheap for what is being offered and if they do peering with popular services like google, Apple, netflix, microsoft, Hotstar etc like excitel, your experience would still be great overall.