MTNL Mumbai MTNL should shut down

• Thread starter Thread starter Shbm
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 4,530
ISP
MTNL
Guys, my connection has been down for the past 4 days, have tried complaining via twitter, phone and email. Nothing has helped, incompetence has paralyzed them and they'll shut shop soon.
Anyhow, can anyone recommend me any broadband providers for Sumer Nagar, Borivali West, Mumbai - 400092.

Airtel says it is not feasible, Spectranet doesn't serve my area and Jio has asked me to wait. i seriously don't want to get stuck with MTNL.

If they shut down, you would have no option!

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

Dump them.... that is the only way to kill them.

So many people have left MTNL and have had better internet experience ever since...

Look around you will find n number of LCO/ ISP.....

Look around you will find n number of LCO/ ISP.....

This will definitely be an option but you would have to check about provider reliability. Alternatively, use JioFi for now and then move when you find better options. It all depends on your consumption patterns.

I personally still have my MTNL connection because it's reliable and I have an unlimited plan. But I'd definitely love to move to something else if I had better options that don't conk off every couple of days.

I am paying (VDSL Rs. 2999 + 400 tax) for 50 Mbps speed and 265 GB data to MTNL. This is definitely on the higher side because in these days of 4K video streaming, my data usage has skyrocketed. I need at least 300 GB data per month.

Compared to Hathway, Airtel and Jio Fiber, MTNL plans are looking costly as hell. They (MTNL) need to double the FUPs on all their plans or simplify to 4-5 plans instead of 20-30 plans they have. That confuses the shit out of everyone.

I had a fight with my LCO some 12 years back and their reliability was always questionable. No permission to Jio Fiber and Airtel from my society. I even gave them a PowerPoint presentation about benefits of Fiber during our society's Annual General Meeting but it was met with skepticism. They just don't trust Reliance brand. Bunch of old people. Can't do anything about it.

Hence I am stuck with MTNL and my experience has been decent so far even though I know that I am paying about 50% more than the competition.

@d5aqoëp
My LCO is terrible too when it comes to reliablity. Once internet goes down it takes him anywhere from 5hours to 24hours to fix it atleast in case of MTNL I been lucky and most things get fixed in less than 1hr of complaining.

But that isn't the reason for me to stick with MTNL for now, the problem is most big ISPs have terrible plans. MTNL is far better than those imo. Airtel vFiber is not what they say and their plans have a FUP speed of 512kbps wtf?!
And the smaller new ISPs including the LCOs provide cached content from their cached servers most of the time which means I am not going to get 100% of the advertised speed for all the content which is okay for most people but I hate it when such shit is pulled as I think this is invasion of my privacy. For anything that isn't cached is new request otherwise it goes through the cache content which makes you feel you are streaming like a boss until your internet chokes for handling most stuff which requires sending and receiving new/uncached requests.

MTNL has listened to you. Now your new FUP is 325 GB wef 1 Dec 2017.

MTNL Mumbai
Pathetic 60 GB extra (325 GB) for Rs. 2999 50 Mbps plans?

I am shifting to 10 Mbps plan which gives 370 GB data For 1999

So it is a saving of 1000 per month.

MTNL are fucking idiots.

When will they know that higher speeds require higher data caps?

Pathetic 60 GB extra (325 GB) for Rs. 2999 50 Mbps plans?

I am shifting to 10 Mbps plan which gives 370 GB data For 1999

So it is a saving of 1000 per month.

MTNL are fucking idiots.

When will they know that higher speeds require higher data caps?
Well your wanted 300GB you got more than that.

I understand what you saying and I completely agree with you that higher speeds need much much higher data caps but at least be happy that you got more than you asked for, for now. Because when read in order in this thread it sounds like no matter what they do you will always complain which makes it really difficult to have a realistic discussion.

@demonicult

Why do you think I am complaining? I am saying is MTNL are idiots if they don't increase higher tier plans data proportionately.

With data doubling on lower plans, all the upper tier plans are looking less value for money and people will shift to lower plans which give more data at slightly slower speeds. Above 10 Mbps, there is zero difference in browsing speed.

I am moving to lower tier which saves me 1000 rupees per month for higher data caps.

This is pathetic..... I mean Spectra is offering 1Gbps unltd@1249/- and MTNL fans calling other ungrateful for not being satisfied with 325GB@50Mbps for 2999/-

May be Spectra not available in your area but many other options might be.... just try out....

@ijsa

As I said before the problem with most new recent ISPs is they provided content from cached servers which sounds great and decreases latency i.e. how they advertise such high speeds. This is a way to save bandwidth for ISP at the cost of user privacy and at times waiting for cache to expire to see the latest/updated content. For now ISPs are only caching the streaming content but this still bad.
And this yet another terrible thing which people fail to understand, users aren't getting the advertised speeds. Speedtests aren't the be all and end all for actual speeds. If you try un cached content you will see the speed is not even close to the advertised speeds.

After leaving MTNL..... I have moved from YNET>Excitel>TriplePlay>In broadband..... also tested RealTel....... and I must tell you everyone was better than MTNL in terms of price vs performance........ So what if they are promising 50Mbps & delivering 10-20Mbps[other than the cached content speed](mind you all unlimited)... still better than MTNL...... When I play any streaming content from Google server....... it plays as good as my internal HDD.... instant seek.....

What is the point of MTNL?????......... They are inefficient........ They will launch a plan down the line 1 year after losing their customers..... They had monopoly...... why they did not offer good plans when they had chance.......

And their CC is legendary....