Importing low cost item after GST

• Thread starter Thread starter Xposed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 1,337
ISP
BSNL, jio fiber
Hello members,
I have a doubt that somebody who has imported low cost items like mobile cases after implementation of GST can help me with

Please answer the following questions

1. I am trying to import from phone cases which are not available in India (~$25 total value) , what is the kind of Duty am I expecting...?

2. The seller is shipping the item via non trackable international economy post , so what are the delivery times I expecting..?

3. Is there a slight chance that customs is going to clear the item without any duties @dextermorgan @Sushubh @Nishant

Who are you importing from? If it's from someone like AliExpress, then they might mark as a gift and declare a lower value.

I don't remember the exact duty % if any, for phone cases.

I would not suggest you spend $25 first and then don't get tracked shipping. Plus with non-tracked, shipping timelines are not guaranteed and therefore delivery might take a lot of time.

I had bought goods worth 150$ and had them shipped in one package, the courier was GATI who did my KYC too. I did not get any duty charged for my product. So, it's a hit or miss.

Its a hit or miss tbh.

But get tracked shipping instead of non tracking one. It will help if your package was lost/stolen. But from Banggood/gearbest if possible. Both have priority line to india and their tracked shipping is cheap and fast too.

btw friend ordered an air case from USA (which has battery inbuilt) for 29$ and it dodnt attract any customs. So maybe cases might pass without any duty

It's quite difficult to judge the customs. I got a Huami Amazfit Pace Smartwatch worth $95 and it came in without customs but a friend who ordered a $50 Android TV box had to pay ₹700 customs. I also remember another friend who was saying he was charged ₹150 for a $30 crimping tool.

$700 for a $50 item?

Didn't the customs guy know the difference between a TV Box and a TV?

Actually the guy is charging $5 extra for international economy shipping, so, item value is $19.99

BTW it's eBayUSA

@susubh I don't know why but I am not receiving alerts for this thread even though I am subscribed to it

Check if you have subscribed to get email alerts. There are two different options.