New to Bangalore

• Thread starter Thread starter syb
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 4,161

syb

Hi everyone,i'm new to bangalore (and actually to india too). I moving in my flat by the end of the week, and i'm looking for a good braodband connection. I'm from montreal and over there cable is usually a better alternative then DSL for high speed internet. I heard it is not true here tho, is it? If its so, which DSL / Cable dompany do you recommend?I need good latency, good bandwidth, and as less downtime as possible. Also need the connection to be installed within a few days (if thats possible)anyway, thanks in advance for your input 🙂

airtel

man u are just gonna love it here haha hau would just bang ur head with comp on the kind of broadband u would get here 😀

i am already feeling pity for uman coming from montreal u would be used to unlimited high speed internetur whole world would change when u come hereand u would have a new prospective on broadband in indian termsthe so called IT hub of the world BS

Originally posted by syb@Aug 2 2005, 09:43 PM
Hi everyone,
i'm new to bangalore (and actually to india too). I moving in my flat by the end of the week, and i'm looking for a good braodband connection. I'm from montreal and over there cable is usually a better alternative then DSL for high speed internet. I heard it is not true here tho, is it? If its so, which DSL / Cable dompany do you recommend?
I need good latency, good bandwidth, and as less downtime as possible. Also need the connection to be installed within a few days (if thats possible)
anyway, thanks in advance for your input 🙂
[snapback]19622[/snapback]
[/quote]

Another vote for Airtel, if it's availble where ur flat is. In terms of reliabilty it's real DSL, so unless the exchange has no power for several hours, then the connection isn't likely to go down.

You might get a better data deal with cable guys here (Hathway) but they won't be as reliable. If you can live with that. Also since these cable guys tend to dangle cables over trees and connect to hubs at various customers, if those hubs are not powered with a UPS there goes your connection during a power outage.

Stick with Airtel and get the 128kb unlimited. It's 100k at night but more like 64k during the day. They have a 256k option but u need to be careful what u DL during the day, which might be too much of a hassle if your used to flat rate.

If all this is still too slow, use a shell connection and download to a friend's box back in montreal and tell him/her to burn DVDs and to mail them to you.

Of course if money is no problem then u could get an even faster connection with BSNL which will come with quotas and excess charges. Doubtful you will opt for this since it would work out more expensive than what u pay for back home 😉

ok first of all where in blore are u stayin ???first check wether Hathway has its coverage near ur place or not.If Hathway is availabe then i wud suggest u go for that one, they are far far better tariff than airtel plus the modem is free to use. the downtime is almost doesnt occur and they offer 256kbps unlimited for 990rs + st. I have been using Hathway for 8 months now and im satisfied with their service and they will connect u with 2 days max. if hathway isisnt there then opt for airtel the 2nd best ISP in blore whatever u do DNT TAKE SIFY !!! :angry: all the best ...

I'm curioious coolone you say you have a Hathway 256k unlimited connection when they only advertise a 64k unlimited connection and your id says you have a 256k 1gb limit hatway connection.

Thanks for the input all to answer your question i'm moving to Koramangala in a house already hooked up with Hathway cable service. I'll check Aritel disponibility thothanks again

@thegenerousjew im not sure y hathway is advertising 64kbps, but im sure that all their tariffs offer a min of 256kbps. and about my tariff i was and im sayin was using liteway regular with 1GB limit but now from this month for 10 days i have shifted to Freeway unlimited (have already dloaded 5234MB in 3days woohoo ) and but 10th im shifting my place and im forced to take airtel since hathway isint there !!!

Heh great, that means ur exp with Hathway "unlimited" is < 2 weeks !!It's called the honeymoon period 🙂 After 3 months the real thing starts. Not sure how long ago their unlimited plan started tho, lemme guess from July onwards, trying to cash in on BSNL's indecision.

Originally posted by blr_p@Aug 3 2005, 08:25 PM
Heh great, that means ur exp with Hathway "unlimited" is < 2 weeks !!
It's called the honeymoon period 🙂 After 3 months the real thing starts.
[snapback]19816[/snapback]
[/quote]

3 months for what ?? neways im gonna shift to airtel soon so yeah its kinda a honeymoon period with hathway b4 the divorce !!! lol

dude i guess this plan started around the same time i got it - in April this year! coz i went to apply for the then freeway 128kbps n they told me they upgraded it to 256 at no extra cost! And they haven't compromised on quality and yes they are way better than bsnl

How come nobody voting for BSNL DataOne...?If speed is your thing (and they now have night-unlimited 2am to 8am) then go for the BSNL DataOne Home 1800 (512 kbps) or Home 3300 (1 mbps) plans. I'm willing to give up unlimited (I have a pathetic total 5 GB per month download plus upload quota) because... I FEEL... THE NEED... FOR SPEED!!!But prepare to be disappointed with those speeds which will be slow after you're used to phoren multi-megabit speeds with low lag.But if you want unlimited just for net browsing with no billing hassles and good customer support, AirTel 128kbps unlimited plan seems to be popular out here...