Soiled and tattered currency note problem

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 929
This is a big problem in Mumbai and Maharashtra. No one accepts notes even if there's a slight tear in the top middle portion.

When I was in Kerala I was surprised to see everyone accepts even badly battered notes and even ones torn into half and then taped.

i have a question about the new 2000/500 notes... is it true that banks refuse taking notes which have pen marks on them? local shops around my place would not accept notes if there is anything written on them with a pen. all of them say that banks reject these notes when they try to deposit them. i kind of find this idiotic. i have only read about the problem with stapled notes.

SBI has user operated cash deposit machines in banks and along ATM's at many a places. Notes with marks in ink can be deposited there.

wouldn't these machines also take in fake notes? seems unlikely that the tech is advanced enough to detect fake notes at the time of deposit in cash machines?

i was more curious about rbi's policy. does the note become invalid if there is something written on it with ink! because this has become a major annoyance here. i have to check every single note on both sides for potential ink marks. not possible always!

i don't think those deposit machines accept soiled and tattered notes, most of the times it even rejects good quality notes.

During early days of demon, notes were not accepted even with slight pen mark on them. some idiot wrote his name and phone number on 2k note and it was rejected by sbi,hdfc and canara bank. But now, they're accepted without any problem