FTP server in 10 Steps

coolbuddy_79

The Coolest One!!!
ISP
TriB 749NU @ 2 mbps
1. Go here and make an account and select the domain name, whatever you want.

2. Download and install their "Dynamic Update Client" (DUC) here.

3. Go to your router configuration page and "Advanced/LAN clients." Under "Dynamic Addresses" it'll show your PCs current address. Click on "Reserve" and then "Apply." Now you'll see that the address has moved under the "Static Addresses" field.

4. Now go to "Virtual Server" under the same "Advanced" page. Make sure it's showing the same LAN IP that you just made static. Under "Category" click "Servers" and then "FTP Server" under "Available Rules." Click on "Add" and "FTP Server" should move under "Applied Rules."

5. Go to "Tools/System" and click on "Save and Reboot."

6. Now go to network properties, of your system, and put the IP address that's under the "Static" field. If you don't know how to do that, then I don't think this is the right place for you. Still you can PM me for that info as well.

7. Download and install any free "FTP server." I'm using FileZilla. It's pretty easy to use and light on your system. You can download that here.

8. Run the DUC and under "Hosts" it'll show your domain name. Click on the box there and it'll say ": DNS update successful."

9. Run the "FileZilla Server" and add groups/users and give them whatever rights you want. PM me if you want to know how to do that.

10. Do all the settings properly (you don't need to change most of the default ones) and you're done!!!

Now tell your friends (and me) the FTP server address and start sharing your stuff. Enjoy!!! 😀

great info!!awesome post!!thanks!

kick ass dude. 🙂 gr8 info!!if someone is starting his ftp then give us the add!

what is the joy of downloading off anybody's FTP server?Almost all the stuff u find there wld be available on the internet....unless ofcourse he/she shares his/her personal videos 😛 If we were on a lan...then FTP wld have been grt coz we wld hv got speeds upto 5 Mbps or so...i knw abt ppl doin it on sify n hotwire...but why such enthusiasm abt FTP on MTNL...beats me 🤔Data limit is still there with MTNL whether u download off internet or somebody's FTP server...so doesnt matter where u get ur stuff from..

well, u get stuff of the other person's choice which can be better than someone's own...also, u get everything in a very sorted out form in directories and most importantly u're sure that what u're downloading is not virus infected or fake, as in case of most P2Ps 😛as far as data limit is concerned, the uploads are free in MTNL...i hope u know that...

ya but the guy who's downloading-his downloads are not free...and how can u be so sure that the stuff is not infected (not talking abt u)..these days one can easily embed spyware with any exe file... and i wld like to inform u tht u wld be consuming atleast 1.75 to 2.00 MB of downloads per hr of uploads....are u aware of that ?

well, the whole idea of having an FTP server is to share ur stuff with ur friends (families as well)...it may come for ur own use also (like in my case)...i don't think u'll give ur FTP address to someone u don't trust, and vice versa...so having infected stuff is a rare possiblity...in my case, i need it coz i have to transfer files from office to home and home to office...so it's a lot easier for me now...and hope it will be for many in some or other ways...yeah, know about that download thing...but then i'm not running it 24 hrs 😛

Yes, its a non-issue when transferring files b/w ppl u know...but the discussion was abt posting the FTP address here...on a public forum.Even if u PM the link to select few..they dont knw u personally..and u also dont knowthem...

yeah, that's true...and u've to selective enough for that to decide whom to give the link with ID and pwd and whom not to 🙂also, most of the things can be taken care of with just the user rights...

while doing LAN tranfers ony sify does it count in the limit we have i.e. 200 Mb/day and cant we acheive good speeds (lan speeds) in BSNl/MTNl?Is there any other way of hosting a FTP server...rather than going to the router home page ...

LAN transfers on sify dont contribute to the data lt of 200 MB/dayBSNL/MTNL dont have LAN's its a dedicated link b/w each user and the gatewayThere is no way of hosting an FTP server without touching the router settings 🙂