FTP server in 10 Steps

Port Forwaring doesnt seem to be working..any idea, whts wrong?when i try to connect, it conects to my router ip address (192.168.1.1) and not my PC(192.168.1.2)..has any one configured it properly??pls let me know.. thanx

hmm.. cant a request be made to the mtnl officials to allow lan.. i think it can be possible. but having a certain range of ip`s included in lan.. and excluded from the download limits.. or maybe a different set of pvc .. liike pvc1 or pvc2 etc etc set for lan.but thanks anyways... for the tut. will create mines. soon'ppl pls post your ftp address here.thanks

Excellent information, dude ! 😀Why don't you add this post to the 'Important Links' sticky ?

Thnx a ton coolbuddy. Even like u I quite often access my home pc from office. I guess this tool will free my family members from telling my public ip.

Originally posted by coolbuddy_79@Jul 31 2005, 09:38 PM
1. Go here and make an account and select the domain name, whatever you want.

etc...

Similarly one can also run a simple web server on their machines to share files, using this software :

HFS - Http File Server
http://www.rejetto.com/sw/

You just need to make sure you forward port 80 (or whatever port you have configured the program to listen on) in your router.

This is a neat way of sharing files. Only the server needs to install this program. When a client connects to the server using any web browser, he will see a web page with a listing of all the shared files. He can then download the files normally using his web browser / download manager.

Click on this link to see the test web server I have set up with this program:
http://alvarem2.zapto.org/

Of course, this link may not work, depending on when you try it, since my computer is not running all the time. But it's going to be running all of today, so if you try it today (Dec 11) you should definitely see it. 😛

You can also grant access rights at the user-level as well as the file-level, so this makes it fairly secure.

If any one is interested, or needs any more details don't hesitate to PM me. 🙂

you can do that with IIS or Apache too! No need to installing extra software 😕

Originally posted by max@Dec 13 2005, 12:51 AM
you can do that with IIS or Apache too! No need to installing extra software 😕
[snapback]35481[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, but I'm sure IIS does not come preinstalled on all versions of Windows.

The app I mentioned is much simpler than a full blown web server like IIS, is easier to configure, and is specifically geared to act like a HTTP file server.

🙂

its a good thing IIS does not come pre-installed. it used to attract tons of worms...

pls help i am having problem in following points
3. Go to your router configuration page and "Advanced/LAN clients." Under "Dynamic Addresses" it'll show your PCs current address. Click on "Reserve" and then "Apply." Now you'll see that the address has moved under the "Static Addresses" field.
[/b]

its not showing any current address, so added up and IP address from lan clients menu. ie 192.168.1.5 and put that under static field

6. Now go to network properties, of your system, and put the IP address that's under the "Static" field. If you don't know how to do that, then I don't think this is the right place for you. Still you can PM me for that info as well.[/b]

I have used 192.168.1.5 in "use following IP add" along with subnet and gateway

9. Run the "FileZilla Server" and add groups/users and give them whatever rights you want. PM me if you want to know how to do that.[/b]

whenever I start fileZilla, its asking me for ip add of server, what to fill in there???? by default its the loop back address, ie 127.0.0.1

help........... 🙁

@whitelotus...i guess u've already solved your issue by now...sorry, i stumbled upon this post a bit too late 😉let me know if you still haven't been able to figure it out...would be glad to help 🙂

or... Install Fedora Core and...type...yum install vsftpdand enjoy a full-fledged FTP server 🙂