Delhi could soon have parking charges in residential areas

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Delhi Maintenance and Management of Parking Rules 2017

L-G Anil Baijal discusses draft introducing parking charges in residential areas – The Indian Express

The draft proposes to introduce charges for parking in residential areas. “The civic agencies will consult RWAs (residents welfare associations) before deciding the parking charges and mode of management of parking in residential areas including outsourcing of the collection of parking fees,” it says.
The charges would be decided by civic agencies on the basis of a Base Parking Fee — to be revised annually. The draft proposes that on-street parking for the first hour would be priced at least twice of off-street and will increase exponentially with duration to discourage long periods of on-street parking.

SVK

svknet.wordpress.com
Regulars
Jan 19, 2007
svknet.wordpress.com
TBH it is need of time. In my city, people purchase 4 wheelers , but most of them dont have society parking, so all their vehicles are randomly parked within society walls at night and on weekends. And in my neighboring society, vehicles spill out on roads :D
I read somewhere that RTO is making it mandatory to provide proof of parking for people purchasing commercial vehicles (bus, tempo, etc)

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Delhi I believe already has ground floor parking mandatory. All new constructions have to leave the bottom floor for parking. And they have been talking about implementing proof of parking for new purchases for a while now. Here in Gurgaon even the parking floor is not mandatory. Not sure what they are waiting for. The city is already saturated with completely built houses. What's the point of waiting for implementing this policy!

Societies in Gurgaon and Delhi have very strict rules wrt parking from what I have seen. When you buy a property, you also have to decide on parking. Some builders include one or two parking spaces in the price of the flat. People have to pay extra for every additional parking space. I have seen parking slots being sold for Rs. 5 lakhs and above. The society where I used to live in had allocated parking for each flat. For additional parking, people were given choice to buy one at a high price or pay a rent on a monthly basis.

Of course, all this means that if you are visiting someone in such a society, you are pretty much fucked. You either have to park your car on the road outside the society which is a problem if that area is a tow-away zone or you have to hope to find an empty slot in the very limited visitors parking area. I pretty much take an auto or an uber whenever I am visiting a contact in such societies.

In my area of course, there are absolutely no regulation. RWA of course has zero powers to establish their own policies. Which is why I had to go through the whole ordeal of going to High Court to get the gates removed at the end of internal lanes. People cried about security but used these gates to create their own personal parking.