Hindustan Times has disabled comments on their news articles

Citrus

Regulars
Dec 9, 2010
Sikkim
Comments section of pretty much all the news websites, including The Hindu has turned to an area where hate filled, bigoted, pro Modi views can be expressed. All of them should should disable comments section. Not sure what could be done about Twitter, the vilest of all, but then it isn't a 'news' website.

Reactions: Sushubh

Karan

I am a n00b
Regulars
Aug 23, 2006
Gurgaon
Tis' a good thing that the took a step in the right direction. Their comments were anyways full of spam offering millions for organs or mindless rabble of BJP bhakts talking complete and utter nonsense.

The next thing they need to do is hire someone who can actually proof read the articles. The spelling and grammatical errors on some of their articles is just appalling. Even a school kid would be able to do better.

apuw

Mar 20, 2017
They've had it disabled for some time now been almost a month or two. I don't support this decision personally as people's voices and opinions are being silenced. I always love to know what other people think about a given news.

Smh

Regulars
Nov 7, 2016
they should try better ways to moderate comments instead of completely blocking it.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
moderation of comments is not a simple task. the amount of new comments that are added on a daily basis. plus you have to set a clear standard on what is allowed and what is not. and if one of your moderators bring in his personal bias, and someone influential finds his comments censored, it generates a lot of negative PR for the company. just look at how frequently facebook ends up getting criticized for censoring one thing or the other. it is a lose-lose situation for everyone. it's better that commenting moves to a platform of the choice of the commentator. i can share the link on twitter or facebook and comment there. i can blog about it. i own the comment. i have control over it. and people are free to read it or ignore it.

a good workaround is to use facebook comments. people post with their own facebook profiles. of course there is still possibility of trolling and abusing. but i am guessing facebook would take care of most of these shit as it gets reported. and you can focus on more important things like proofreading :D

Simpleguy

Regulars
Mar 20, 2015
I prefer only those news which allow comment, comments are sometimes useful to detect biased news and reveal something which are intentionally hidden by news company.

Reactions: apuw and Smh

Smh

Regulars
Nov 7, 2016
they can use keyword filtering to moderate trolls ,abusive comments and users can always flag bad comments.

By disabling comments they are trying to block people who have a different opinion.

apuw

Mar 20, 2017
i can share the link on twitter or facebook and comment there.
That would tend to create an echo chamber as we aren't going beyond our circle. That is the problem with websites moving their comments to Facebook and Twitter as I have to actively seek what others are trying to say rather than get people's opinion on the article itself.

As for the comments favoring one side or being offensive to some, yes they would. That doesn't mean they need to be silenced completely. Take for example the comments on this article by TOI:
HC grants bail to rapists for girl's 'promiscuous attitude' - Times of India

While I personally find them to be vile and offensive at least that gives me an insight into what the other side is thinking on the most read newspaper in the country. You can, and should, only make opinions if you know the other side's story.

Taking care of spam and other related tasks can be automated by things like Google's Perspective API (which Vuukle a comments widget uses). We are in the digital age now and citing moderation burdens to remove comments is the same as not accepting letters to the editor.

Citrus

Regulars
Dec 9, 2010
Sikkim
If it were genuine opinion of genuine people, it would be acceptable to most if not all of us. However, we very well know that's not the case. People are paid to spew hatred, brand anyone with a voice of dissent against establishment as anti-national, threaten with rape and murder, come up with choicest of words for them and drown that voice in a sea of pro establishmentarianism.