Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) News & Updates

hitman

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
I have Visa credit card provided by ICICI ... 2-3 days back I booked an eticket from IRCTC ... It costed me 1570+20(service tax)=1590 .... But now its showing in my credit card statement as Rs.1618 ... Is there any additional charge if we book a ticket from credit card? Nothing was listed when I made the payment ...

1.7% of 1618 = 27.501.7% is the amount we paid extra when my friend the razr2 using his credit card.the money taken by the credit card companies for these kind of transactions. most online shopping sites do not charge it coz the margins are high. maybe irctc is charging them 😀

I think non-govt banks charge ~2.5% over ticket cost. (that was in reply to original post)..IRCTC is a sucker in terms of charges.They charge a fees Even if you opt for online ticket that is not delivered to home.

Just called IRCTC customer care and they confirmed it is 1.8% of the cost ... This is really bad on irctc's part ... They r charing Rs.20 as service charge and charge 1.8% extra if we buy using cc and Rs.10+taxes if we pay using bank account ... They r just looting us ... It wouldn't cost them even a single penny if we print out an eticket ... It saves them man power etc... Considering tht even Rs.20 they charge as service tax is high ...

I used to think they charge 60 Rs as service charge. Looks like they have improved (a little).

They charge a fees Even if you opt for online ticket that is not delivered to home.

does the eticket work with IRCTC..i mean do TC's accept it? asking coz i have seen weird things happening in India especially with govt deptts.

yes they do. And they are polite/courteous.Railways has improved a lot in last 2 - 3 years. Train that I use to go to my HomeTown has laptop charger on every seat. And has only 5 stops in journey of 1000 km.It used to have broken berths and cockroaches earlier.

^^ Agreed . I had a trip to few months ago and trains were in much better condition , they keep boggies clean during long journey and the food even though yuck in taste , was very hygienically packed .

I used to think they charge 60 Rs as service charge. Looks like they have improved (a little).

I suppose Rs.60 is for iticket ...

i guess i would go to the station to book the three tickets i have to book for January...

Thats fine as long as you don't have to stand in a queue for 2 hours. Only to see touts getting things done from "back door".

^^ Agreed . I had a trip to few months ago and trains were in much better condition , they keep boggies clean during long journey and the food even though yuck in taste , was very hygienically packed .

Now a days restaurants near all major stations have identified this as business opportunity.

You call them and place your order along with your seat/coach number. Food is delivered hot when train reaches that station.

Good thing is cell works even when train is passing through a small village.

i totally agree. railway has certainly improved a lot in the last few years.

Paying Rs 20 isnt much. Imagine that u would pay greater amount on petrol if u drive all the way to railway station. Plus u have to stand in queue. Plus u dont get to see all options of various trains available , their fares, availability and times. I guess Rs 60 is for iticket( bcoz it includes courier charges as well)I have been booking via IRCTC for 4-5 years now( maybe even longer)........and i never had any problem. I dont remember when I last paid at Railway station. And IRCTC has improved a lot , it accepts almost all debit cards now as well. Years ago, I could use only my citibank credit card only.To hitman : Its better to opt for a debit card ( if u have one) on IRCTC. U would be charged Rs 20 only & nothing else. And Rs 20 isnt service tax....its service charge....tax, if any, is already included in the fare itself.