Looking for a list of all blocked sites in India

• Thread starter Thread starter Jaydip Das
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 72
  • Views Views 22,849
forgive me for the foul language.these ****ing bastards what do they think they are up to they call THIS SHIT democracy! to hell with democracy this country is RULED by mentally retarded *******s who are under the illusion that blocking access to certain sites will be without any consequences!All these sites, along with major torrent sites are blocked because of some unknown random tamil film called 3, yes that meaningless movie with kolaveri di in it, caused this shit! what is the big idea you worthless scum producers! senile old fools sittting the court and butt-kissing the film stars!next it will be like north korea yayy! no more access internet or TV yayyy! little shits.again sorry for the rude language but i still want to go on and on!

Anonymous India Releases Reliance’s Site Block List; Calls For On-Ground Protest On June 9th 2012 - MediaNama
https-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R0VN7QSg2oE
Greetings,
Press, ISP, and the Citizens of India
With this leak we are proving to you something that no one had ever attempted to prove. The Indian government is not only useless when it comes to protecting and serving it's people but is also equally powerless when it comes to controlling the big guns such as reliance. The following is a list of Sites and URL's blocked by reliance. Just give it a quick check with list that government has and see how many sites and URL's are here without the peoples and governments knowledge. Or did the government of yours really know and kept quite due to the special Corrupt special services that they are running for them. Shhhh.. Before you deny It read more.

When we first hacked into reliance they realised that we had the list and also cause of the media coverge they knew they were in trouble as they themselves knew that they broke the law and the trust of it's customers. When they saw media was knowing this they started unblocking the sites to make it look like they are heroes and reliance did you feel it would be so easy for you to do that and not cross us. Bad Idea. You tried to change our passwords and tried everything you know to stop us. For your information We Dont Even Care If You Have A Password. Stop Attacking people and their freedom and we will stop

Every one check this list and see how many sites that has no court order or not even a complaint against them is blocked.
Answer Us:
* Why has Reliance blocked AirIndia employees Protest page on Facebook.(marked in green and purple) ---- Did the court issue an order for that too
Or does the government have some ties with reliance to help them kill the strike at AI. Bad Idea.
THINK INDIA THINK ARE YOU GUYS NOT TRUSTING THE WRONG PEOPLE
Time to wake up and get on the streets,
Throw out this corrupt system,
Join us, We have no leaders
We Are Anonymous
We are a Legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget
Expect Us....
You did not, you should have.

I think we are all familiar with how websites get blocked in India. Suddenly without notice and reason due to arbitrary court orders which are always in favor of the movie producers who brought these to court. No fact or background checking of any kind is done, all websites mentioned by the producers are blocked and this leads to repercussions such as many legitimate websites getting blocked a recent example being the Internet Archive.

While at present we have no medium to know which websites are blocked what we can do is find what tech the ISPs use in order to block websites. We only need to find this out for the bigger ones as they hold the international gateways and most LOCs and smaller ISPs don't implement their own blocking but rely on the bigger ISPs.

Take for fact my LOC, whenever I visit a blocked website the Airtel DOT notice is shown probably because the LOC uses Airtel's services. And obviously on my Airtel Broadband the Airtel DOT notice is shown.

I was getting restless and annoyed as to how even https:// sites were getting blocked. My post about the same here on this forum led to all of finding out (thanks @Karan) that they use Netsweeper to block websites as do many other ISPs in the Middle East and even in Pakistan. (The details about how the blocking actually happens even for https:// websites can be found in the linked thread).

This is great to know that we have now finally found out what tech is being used by a major ISP and possible workarounds can be found around it. We only have to find this out for a couple more ISPs such as Reliance and Tata and we would have mapped the Telco industry's blocking technologies.

I hope people which see blocking notices from Reliance or TATA or the like can come forward with evidence and we can collaboratively map the blocking tech.

Thank You

@Sushubh Can you help with this? Know anyone who sees the blocking notice from Reliance, Tata, MTNL, etc.?

When I was on Nextra for a year, they too blocked websites at the behest of the DoT. I never looked into it in depth, so am not sure the method they used, but, their blocking was a lot more effective, all websites that were blocked, the https trick didn't work on any of them.

Their message was along the lines of what airtel shows for their block page.

Nextra was also notorious for injecting ads into http data streams. They seemed to have dropped that later on.

So, even Hathway is using Netsweeper as confirmed by a user on Reddit: Source

Well the user confirmed it indirectly, in the posted screenshot you can see that Netsweeper is being used clearly:
Source

And the user also said they were on Hathway in the comments:
Source

Hathway is still blocking archive.org for some reason.

@Karan Did you try changing the DNS? Could be using DNS blocking. Or maybe even they were using Netsweeper :/
I have always used third party DNS servers, so they were most likely using a filtering system like Netsweeper, if not Netsweeper itself. I never did any digging into it, so can't say.

@RedskyITM Oh Bangalore huh. One reason could be that the regional Hathaway maintainers unblocked it as do many ISPs when they find out that a wrong website has been blocked and the Hathaway Mumbai ones didn't do it.

Another reason could be your DNS settings maybe try with the default DNS and see if the website is still blocked.

I reverted to the Hathway DNS and I saw the ACCESS DENIED message. So that's confirmed then, they use DNS lookups to redirect you to the notice.