Airtel & Vodafone forcing customers to upgrade to 4G SIM immediately

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 8,808

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
ISP
Tata Play 1 gbps, Microscan 500 mbps and PDPL 300 mbps.
So I got an SMS from airtel - We have upgraded your network for better voice and faster internet - so please get new 4G SIM else your current SIM will be de-activated by 2nd October!!!!

Woooooo! Now they will insist on Aadhaar card during getting new SIM I bet!

I'm not too concerned - will port out eventually - not now - if they keep playing such tricks - but then - ALL vendors like IDEA / Jio will play such tricks in absence of good consumer protection laws in India.

Tell them the Dept of Telecommunications (DOT) has given time till Feb 2018 for mobiles to link to Aadhaar. I doubt they will be keen on losing a customer when there is still time for it.

Guys I believe you are getting confused. It is supreme court order to re verify existing/new sim based on E-KYC process and not the GOVERNMENT. It is not in hands of Operators too. So no point in blaming them.

2ndly, what msg airtel has sent you is basically to migrate to 4G/Volte sim so that customer are ready to move to 4G ONLY network. Airtel is switching off 2g/3G networks in metros to reduce cost....

3rdly getting replacement sim will not call for Aadhaar verification. They will handover new sim with procedure to activate it....

You get 4G SIM online from their portal without any kind of verification.

I got one home delivered. (no charges)

Last edited:
Skip video to 1 minute for written instruction.

I got Idea and Vodafone 4G sims without any documents. So no reason to think Airtel wants Aadhar card for 4G sim.

Yeah I am waiting for home delivery - I already tried this before with my mom's SIM a year back - no issues.

If nothing is delivered I will need to go to store - but seems should not be an issue (except I'm worried about Oct 2nd "deadline")

I had to try home delivery 2-3 times. First two times - nothing came for weeks.

3rd time someone called and delivered it home.

Last edited:
Just received this SMS

Important! We have upgraded our network to give you faster speeds & better voice clarity. You will not be able to use data services after 4-Oct-17. Enjoy continued services on your Airtel Mobile, upgrade to FREE 4G SIM. Visit your nearest store or retailer today.

I do have a 4G phone but this is assholish behaviour from Airtel. I'm currently on an annual data pack which means I have no other option but to upgrade.

No clue. The SMS just said that the existing SIM 'will expire' on so and so date and you need to upgrade.