Chromecast 2 with Bsnl Broadband

ISP
BSNL BROADBAND
I am on bsnl 599 plan where i get 2 Mbps flat speed. I was thinking of byying Chromecast 2 for myself as it's available for just 2800 today. I want to ask that whether 2 Mbps speed is sufficient for streaming youtube at 480p or so. Or i should drop the idea of Chromecast altogether. The max upload speed i get is 96 KBps and download speed is fairly constant at 250-270 KBps. If any one of you using chromecast with same speed connection kindly suggest me should i go for it or leave it.

consider getting the Amazon fire tv stick over chromecast. it should also be getting a discount during the amazon sale i assume. it costs more but is more capable than chromecast unless you want features that are exclusive to chromecast.

consider getting the Amazon fire tv stick over chromecast. it should also be getting a discount during the amazon sale i assume. it costs more but is more capable than chromecast unless you want features that are exclusive to chromecast.
Actually i have tried using Amazon Prime video on my laptop and it runs on lowest quality settings on it.. so experience would. Not be that great while watching on television. So I thought the Chromecast 2 might be more optimized to work on slow connection like 2Mbps. ?
Plz help.

you are comparing a video streaming service with a hardware product. fire tv stick and chromecast both streams from the internet so end result should be same on both devices. it's just that with chromecast you probably would not be able to watch prime video on your tv. with fire tv stick you would be. and with fire tv stick you get a remote control and you do not need a phone to operate it. chromecast is dependent upon your phone for initiating and controlling the content on the tv.

I am not bothered about prime video. And my budget is sort of tight so that's why i was asking if there is any user using Chromecast with 2Mbps connection who can share their experience. Btw i can stream youtube comfortably at 480p and sometimes at 720p provided it's less than 60 fps

Last edited:
I think it is better to go for Amazon Fire TV Stick, available now for Rs. 3500, with additional cash back of 500 for Prime members. I was thinking of going for it, but 4 Mbps connection required for proper HD streaming on Amazon Prime video, else reverts to SD. Currently getting 4 Mbps, but BSNL FUP offer will be over this September end. So dropped the idea of buying it. Sorry was not entirely answering Abhi1895's query, just putting forth my opinion of a streaming device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bandwidth requirements :

Netflix:
  • 1 Mb/s for viewing on a laptop computer. While you can stream Netflix at speeds of 1 Mb/s, the quality will be grainy on a large screen, much like watching an old VHS movie
  • 2 Mb/s for viewing standard definition video (480p) on a TV
  • 4 Mb/s for viewing high-def video (720p, 1080p)
  • 5 Mb/s or more for the best audio and video experience
  • 15 Mb/s for 4K streaming (but 25mb/s is preferred). Also recommended is a 4K Ultra TV with an HEVC decoder
Amazon Video:
  • 1 Mb/s to stream standard definition content
  • 3.5 Mb/s to stream HD content (720p/1080p)
  • 15 Mb/s for 4K Ultra HD videos
Link : How Fast Should My Internet Be for Netflix and Other Similar Services?

Last edited by a moderator:
T
I think it is better to go for Amazon Fire TV Stick, available now for Rs. 3500, with additional cash back of 500 for Prime members. I was thinking of going for it, but 4 Mbps connection required for proper HD streaming on Amazon Prime video, else reverts to SD. Currently getting 4 Mbps, but BSNL FUP offer will be over this September end. So dropped the idea of buying it. Sorry was not entirely answering Abhi1895's query, just putting forth my opinion of a streaming device.
Thanks for the info. But i have dropped the idea of chromecast as well as fire tv stick.

Hi @Abhi1895, I thought of continuing the discussion on this thread, seems more relevant. I had earlier mentioned that with 2 Mbps connection the 'FireTVStick' reverts to SD playback. SD does not look good on HD TV screen, I mean it is worse than the SD broadcast on my Airtel DTH. So I will still recommend a 4 Mbps connection which gives a smooth HD experience. Also I tried 'Youtube' on 'FireTVStick', the videos look fantastic on HD, I mean the colors really pop, possibly the clearest and most vibrant HD video I have seen on my HD TV screen.

youtube tends to perform better probably because they have heavily invested in peering with all major isps in the country.