Using old WiFi router as range extender...

• Thread starter Thread starter ijsa
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 3,191

ijsa

Regular
I got banned!
ISP
Excitel
I am using an old WiFI router... D-Link DI-524 as range extender....... it is 10-12 years old.... so hardware & software are not good...

My setup....
TP-Link TL-WR841N is the main router and D Link DI-524 as range extender.

The ethernet cable coming from TP Link router is put in LAN port in D Link router rather than the WAN port. Before using, the D Link router was factory reset and no changes were done in D-Link router setting except WiFi security/ password

The issue that I am facing is with DLink router.... the devices connected through ethernet port(DLink) give full 50Mbps but the devices connected through WiFi(DLink) give only 10Mbps download speed......

So you guys have any clue about it....

Compatible with 802.11g and 802.11b networks

I guess this should clarify.

Sorry my bad...... it is G.... and you might be right....

What is the actual real-life speed of wireless networks ?

Below is a breakdown of actual real-life average speeds you can expect from wireless routers within a reasonable distance, with low interference and small number of simultaneous clients:
802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream, up to 5-6 Mbps with some vendor-specific extensions.
802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream
802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc. Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers. Up to 100 Mbps achievable with more expensive commercial equipment with 8x8 arrays, gigabit ports, etc.
802.11ac - 70-100+ Mbps typical, higher speeds (200+ Mbps) possible over short distances without many obstacles, with newer generation 802.11ac routers, and client adapters capable of multiple streams.

Got maximum 20-21Mbps download on tweaking some settings.......

But connection becomes very unstable by setting at 54Mbps...... if moved say 5-6 feet away from router..... has to be kept on Auto....

-- dead tinypic image removed --