MTNL Mumbai Bye Bye MTNL Triband

• Thread starter Thread starter socrates
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 12,182
Finally the phones in my area which had gone dead on 29 Aug 2017 came to life on 17 Oct 2017 & they had the cheek to send me a pre recorded call asking for my feedback. 'Poor' was the obvious selection for all options :biggrin: RIP

They used to be tolerable in the past & I could get my work done when I had problems but since 29 Aug our phone lines are dead (still dead as I write this) and when I see my neighbors getting better speeds I decided to jump ship. Actually I am waiting for Jio Fiber to start in my area (they have put a foc on the footpath next to my colony but when I asked Jio they told me that its not anytime soon.

What ISP are you with now? And how is the experience so far?

@socrates
LMAO all your links are getting tagged as ads by uBlocker Origin. Why don't you link to png here as image?

Like this?

6723113280.png

I finally made the shift from MTNL too after over a decade of using it!! despite the repeated increase in data allowance by mtnl it is still almost 70-100% more expensive than others .
shifted to DvoiS-SSV fiber since it worked out way cheaper plus i get FTTH. Also the connection is provided by them directly not the local cable guy.

Source

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

cant say much about the uptime since its only been a day but no issues so far 🙂

MTNL is giving 6mbps at 600Rs for a month (not 28days)

FUP is 80GB per month. (1mbps after that - unlimited)

Plus you get 150 calls free.
Plus night time 10pm to 7am unlimited calls to Mumbai and Delhi (any network)

So how is price 70-100% higher?

MTNL is giving 6mbps at 600Rs for a month (not 28days)

FUP is 80GB per month. (1mbps after that - unlimited)

Plus you get 150 calls free.
Plus night time 10pm to 7am unlimited calls to Mumbai and Delhi (any network)

So how is price 70-100% higher?
This is effectively 1Mbps........ 80Gb will not last a week..... and calling calls plus these days won't make any sense....

No point arguing for MTNL.....

@ amish
i was on vdsl 1299 which works out to 1500+ with taxes for 130gb. i got speeds ard 20mbits.
here i pay 750(if i pay for 6 mnths) for 20mbits unlimited with 0 downtime.
750 vs 1500+ ......
even for the 6mbps plan...
u r comparing a limited mtnl plan where i have to restrict my usage to a unlimited plan
and all mtnl prices r pre taxes. these prices are inclusive of taxes.
for 6mnths it works out to 700+ a mnth for mtnl with 80gb vs 530 for ion broadband with no limit

Last edited:
@kickass

Remember our VDSL Alcatel struggles few years back? At this point in life, one wants reliable internet with sufficient data caps because now grandmaas and grandpaas in the house have started streaming 4K HDR stuff. MTNL VDSL is still not an ideal experience as I am capped at 30 Mbps due to poor line quality.

I never thought there were even bigger MTNL fans than you and me. I really don't know why some people are actually defending MTNL at this time. MTNL is so down the gutters that even their share price shows.
For me, I would still be fine even if I get full 50 Mbps speeds because I absolutely have no one else in my area. My Society members being arseholses, have refused JIO FTTH installation because all those grandpaas firmly believe that Reliance brand is untrustworthy.

I may need to move my house now.

^ lol cannot forget the vdsl saga. spent so much time getting it working !
u r right abt everone streaming stuff. my dad watches Hotstar a lot ,my mom streams u tube.the fup on mtnl plans is just not enough if i throw in torrents. i had to keep reminding them not to go beyond 480p lol.
i really liked mtnl until they decided to milk the high end customers. i was on the 2499 plan then i downgraded to 1299. even 200gb is not enough if we start streaming in hd. they could have owned the market !
i had no other provider before so had no choice but i changed the location now 🙂
tell the grandpas if they had bought ril 30 yrs back they wud have a different view now 😛

In my case my line does not support more than 6Mbps though I want to opt for a higher plan. My requirements are not much except the win 10 laptops which hog a lot of DL 😡 & NEVER install at the first attempt so there is always an action replay of DL's so I had to get out. I am really waiting for Jio to get going but there is no hide nor hair of them though they put the conduit on the footpath below my hse in 2014:frown: